AG#13 Summer Pale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james1988

Regular.
Reaction score
Evening all,

I'm looking at making a fairly hoppy pale ale for the summer. I was wondering if you'd have a quick look over it for me, please:

Original Gravity (OG): 1.062 (°P): 15.2
Final Gravity (FG): 1.016 (°P): 4.1
Alcohol (ABV): 6.09 %
Colour (SRM): 7.4 (EBC): 14.6
Bitterness (IBU): 58.0 (Average)

5.480Kg Pale Malt
0.660Kg Caramalt
0.462Kg Wheat Malt

60g Bramling Cross (6.7% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil)
40g Target (10% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Fermented at 22°C with WLP500 - Trappist Ale

I'm looking to create a hoppy but fruity beer; something that is light and refreshing.

Any pointers would be hugely appreciated as I intend on ordering the ingredients in the next day or two and then post the brew day up on the weekend. :)

Thanks,
James

I would swap the pale to pilsner malt as you seem to be after a belgian type beer lower the SG to around 1050/55 max (imo) so it's more drinkable as it's a summer drink , i think i would keep the crystal as is although it's more than often used (300g ish) .I would also drop the ibu to around 40/45 by mainly reducing the bittering hop but as you want hoppy go big on last hop .
However that would be more to my taste and you're brewing for you :D

Thanks gents. I'm still very new to creating recipes and am one for putting things together as I guess they might balance each other out.

As I said, I'm open to ideas.

Pittsy, you could be on to something there. I am partial to a whit and had a taste of a particularly good Lambic over Christmas (the name of which escaped me). However, there was a very good pale ale that I tried in the Three Tuns (Bristol) over Christmas that I really enjoyed.

It had a wonderful hop character, bitter but fruity at the same time.

James

Why those hops? I think Target is mostly used for bittering, and Bram X is mostly used in dark beers. Not saying it wouldn't make a good beer, I don't honestly know, just wondering what you are after - esp with the Trappist yeast thrown into the mix.

Are you after an English summer ale with English hopping? Or a Belgian? Or a pale ale with American style hopping?

To be honest - an as stupid as it sounds - I have absolutely no idea. I was the Hop and Grape website reading the different ingredients and if it sounded like what I was after, it was what I went for lol.

+1 for stryrians fantastic hop, my favourite late hop for English ales, even if it's not grown in England.

Maybe name a beer you have in mind and people will be able to give some ideas of how to do something similar.

I'd like to know which hops are used in Upham Punter, it's a lovely pint, I've emailed the brewery but they haven't responded :(

Being in Manchester I've never heard of Upham Punter. Give them a bell as they suggest, 01489 861 383.

Based on Pittsys response, I've decided to make the following changes

Original Gravity (OG): 1.046 (°P): 15.2
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 4.1
Alcohol (ABV): 4.5 %
Colour (SRM): 5.8 (EBC): 14.6
Bitterness (IBU): 39.4 (Average)

4.066Kg Pilsner Malt
0.490Kg Caramalt
0.343Kg Wheat Malt

60g Styrian Golding (6.7% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil)
20g Target (10% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Fermented at 22°C with WLP500 - Trappist Ale

**Edit**
Order has been placed.

I would swap the hops around, Target start of boil and Styrian late. That's the way they are intended to be used.

Brewtim - By some weird yet predictable coincidence I walked into my local JDW tonight and what did they have on? Upham Punter of course. Long way for it to travel. It was distinctly Fugglesy, no question.

Will do, thanks for the advice gents.

When you say swop them around, are you referring to the timings or the quantity too?

James

clibit said:
Brewtim - By some weird yet predictable coincidence I walked into my local JDW tonight and what did they have on? Upham Punter of course. Long way for it to travel. It was distinctly Fugglesy, no question.

I've read that Upham brewery has been expanding over the last year, 600 employees this year !! Must be good beer :)

Thanks for identifying the hops, I'm still a beginner at hop identification :clap:

And by another freaky coincidence I have just brewed using a load of Fuggles for late hops :thumb:

oz11 said:
clibit said:
I would swap the hops around, Target start of boil and Styrian late. That's the way they are intended to be used.

+1

+2 here,

Target is the better hop for bittering,

I've noticed you have lowered your abv aswel, any reason?
If this was me brewing the pale, I would have used American hops, something like centennial & cascade mixed! But I'm certain that this brew will be nice.

Are you planning on dry hopping this brew?

james1988 said:
Will do, thanks for the advice gents.

When you say swop them around, are you referring to the timings or the quantity too?

James

20g Target @ 90 Mins
60g Styrian @ 15 or 10 mins

Will give you 40-45 IBUs of bitterness. Which would be fine IMO. Distinctly hoppy but not mental, and plenty of Styrian flavour. I would maybe save some of those styrians for dry hopping, maybe 20g, but it will be good either way.

The reason I lowered the ABV was because at 6. something % it wasn't really a summer guzzler but more of a slow drink. By lowering the ABV, I can drink more without falling over. :party:

As for dry hopping, it's not something I've really thought of but I may well give it a go this time.

I can't wait to get this brew on now!

Latest posts

Back