AG #2: Crouch Vale Brewers Gold Clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DethApostle

Regular.
Reaction score
Well, Brew 2 completed today and pretty much to plan other than another tap blockage whilst draining to the FV - I really need to sort that tap and Hop filter out!
For this batch I followed a recipe i'd seen somewhere for Brewers Gold, one of my all time favorite beers! :clap:

DA's Brewers Gold Clone:
5kg Lager Malt
15g Brewers Gold @ 90mins
50g Brewers Gold @ 15mins
1g Irish Moss @ 15mins
35g Brewers Gold @ flameout (or the electric equivalent of!)

Then cooled and pitched in with S-04 yeast.
OG is 1.050 @ 28C, so a little higher than the expected 1.048 but not far off.

Fingers crossed it turns out as expected!

On a side note I'm really starting to think I need to replace the standard plastic taps on my Buffalo Boilers. Is this possible without the need to enlarge the existing hole? - I'm a novice DIYer and I really don't like the idea of wrecking my boilers with a botched attempt!

Cheers
DA

I'm really starting to think I need to replace the standard plastic taps on my Buffalo Boilers. Is this possible without the need to enlarge the existing hole? - I'm a novice DIYer and I really don't like the idea of wrecking my boilers with a botched attempt!

Hi - I use a Buffalo as well, and everything I've read seems to say you need to enlarge the hole. I haven't been brave enough to do this either :)

I'm not getting blocked tap problems, though. I made a pretty standard copper pipe hop filter which fits on the back of the tap, and on top of that I've made a mini-false bottom / strainer thing.

Not sure if the photo will work, I haven't made many posts on this forum:

IMAG0417.jpg

You will need to increase the hole size, I used a 20mm Q-max cutter. There is one floating around, see here

They are dead easy to use, all you have to do is screw it up with an Allen key and it cuts th hole for you :thumb:

So minor update of sorts:

Fermentation has been pretty vigerous so far so i expect to be able to bottle this batch up tomorrow providing I can empty enough suitable bottles tonight! :cheers:
Of course, i've not yet taken a gavity reading today so that's pure guesswork/instinct at this stage!

Have also ordered all the bits and bobs to replace the taps on both by HLT and Boiler. The mashtun at this point is a 'cool-box' style one so i'm going to leave the original tap on that until i've upgraded that to a SS too! :D
I'll post a load of pics from when I attempt the conversion, see if I can help demonstrate how easy it was to do! (assuming it is, and it all goes to plan of course!)

Also have finally got my blog page started up... http://www.demonvalleybrewing.co.uk - ugly, empty and pretty basic at the moment but that'll change once I get a moment to write up my rig construction and brewdays! :oops:

Happy new year all!
Cheers
DA

Well all bottled now. FG was 1.011 so I reckon that works out at 4.7% abv (excluding the + 0.5% for bottling sugar)
Roll on 21st Jan for first tastings!

Cheers
DA

I'm also using it as a good excuse for a dry start to 2013! Two weeks is plenty long enough to prove a point! ;)

2 week testing: oh my... Already smooth, very drinkable and almost clear. 2 more weeks and this is going to be awesome!

Nice one...

Weirdly just had a discussion about this one from a Harkers Arms regular. I haven't tried this one before, but sounds ideal for a first AG when I can afford all the gear! Might just copy you :thumb:

Even taking into account the technical issues I had making this brew (blocked hop filter) this was still a very good brew. It compared well with the real Crouch Vale version, and if anything this one had a more pronounced (better) hop flavour!
Will be brewing a new batch on my next brew day with a few tweaks, probably some crystal malt to add a bit of body... Not sure yet!
DA

The real thing was clearer, I had filtering issues so this wasn't unexpected! Mine tasted stronger hop-wise, and was 5.1 instead of 4% abv! :)
A good comparison though, not a perfect clone.
DA

Latest posts

Back