AG#2 - Slovenian IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hops_and_Dreams

Landlord.
Reaction score
First of all, thanks again to Manse Masher and Geterbrewed for the recent hops competition.

I've decided to split the hops into two batches. The first is an IPA, which I want dry and crisp and will use the citrus/floral hops. I decided to readjust my efficiency in the recipe calculator to 60% in order to get some consistency, if it turns out to be higher, then all well and good.

I also had to split the brew day as I wanted to watch the footy at lunchtime. My thermo pot was a great investment, not only is there no faff with insulating pots, it only lost 1c over three hours. I was aiming for 65c, but hit 64c and thought that was close enough. I felt that trying to adjust it would have not been worth it for the sake of 1c.

After emptying the pot, I gave the grain another decent soak in 8ltr of water at 75c and left for 10 mins. I added this to the rest of the wort and left the grain bag to drip for another 30 mins and gave it a good squeeze and collected the dregs. Hopefully this will improve my previous poor efficiency a bit!

It's currently boiling away, so will find out shortly if it's gone to plan!

Recipe as follows:-

90min Boil
20ltr Batch
Target OG 1050
Target FG 1007
ABV 5.6%
IBU 58
SRM 2

5000g Pilsner Malt
250g Carapils

35g Styrian Dana 60min
5g Styrian Golding 20min
5g Styrian Celeia 20min
5g Styrian Bobek 20min
5g Styrian Cascade 20min
5g Styrian Golding 5min
5g Styrian Celeia 5min
5g Styrian Bobek 5min
5g Styrian Cascade 5min
20g Styrian Golding 0min
20g Styrian Celeia 0min
20g Styrian Bobek 0min
20g Styrian Cascade 0min
15g Styrian Dana 5 day dry hop
20g Styrian Golding 5 day dry hop
20g Styrian Celeia 5 day dry hop
20g Styrian Bobek 5 day dry hop
20g Styrian Cascade 5 day dry hop

1 Whirlfloc Tablet 15min

11.5g Safale US-05 rehydrated and pitched at 20c

Without doubt the longest hop schedule ever!

Will update later and review at tasting time.

You've definately crammed those slovenian hops in there. :thumb:

You'd be surprised at how 1C can make a difference in the mash. I'm my dark beers at least, there's a definate difference in body between 67C and 66C. For me this seems to be the tipping point between a heavy chewy stout/porter and and lighter on the palate one

I don't envy your weighing out, though I am in admiration of your hop complexity. Fortune favours the brave.

I don't envy your weighing out, though I am in admiration of your hop complexity. Fortune favours the brave.

Haha, took longer to type out than weigh out! Although my cheapo ebay scales didn't like small measures much.

Hit 1056, which was pretty good, but annoyingly miles away from target.

Haha, took longer to type out than weigh out! Although my cheapo ebay scales didn't like small measures much.

Hit 1056, which was pretty good, but annoyingly miles away from target.

Better high than low, as my grandfather always told me.

It's down to 1008 today, so chucked the dry hops in. It's nice and hoppy, but not in the way that US hops give you. Has a sort of herby/spicy quality too. All promising so far!

Kegged this last night. I think I love the mini kegs! Was all done in an hour, including racking to a bottling bucket (to filter out all of the dry hops) and cleaning up. One is a little more full than I'd like, but I've only primed with 3g/ltr so hopefully will be ok.

I lost quite a bit to trub and hops and only ended up with 15ltr. It does taste good already though, had a cheeky half pint of what was left - definite English style hoppiness, herby and spicy, but with a bit of the citrus Cascade coming through. I think the flavours will come through more once the harshness of the dry hop dies down and once it's carbonated.

All in all, very promising and I've got 3 kegs at a cost of about £10.00!

15g is only 3g/L, I usually prime my bottles at 5g/L and I'm not keen on high carbing. I think H-a-D means the cost of the beer?t

You don't need so much sugar for mini kegs. Not sure on the science behind it but just picked it up from the mini keg thread

You don't need so much sugar for mini kegs. Not sure on the science behind it but just picked it up from the mini keg thread

The the two times I've used my mini kegs I primed at 12.5g per keg (2.5g/L) as I also read that stuff on the mini keg thread bout priming half what you normally do, but I found it even too low for me. I bought my mini kegs from BrewUK and iirc they say to add 20g per keg (4g/L) I might have a go at doing that when I package next week

My first mini kegged beer has 2.5g/ltr, I found it a bit low so I thought I'd try a bit more. It's just that I haven't left a lot of head space in one of them.

And yes, MyQul was right, the beer cost a tenner, rather than the kegs.

Finally got around to trying this tonight. It's certainly different to the US style IPAs I've made. It's very herby, with a bit of spicyness. I think I've wasted the Cascade as I've not got any of it coming through. It is nice though and a bit different. I'll certainly be using Pilsner more often, it has a good malty backbone that I like, although it has turned out a bit darker than expected, not sure if this is down to the fair amount of hop debris suspended in it.

I'll probably regret cracking open the keg tomorrow morning, but I think another pint is called for, just to make sure I like it!

Latest posts

Back