AG#3 - HONEYS REVENGE

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corby_brewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
I thinking of brewing this tonight or tomorrow, please let me know what you think.

Brew Lengh 20ltrs
92% efficiency (thank you tubbyshaw :thumb: )

Mash - 2 1/2 hours at 67oc
Sparge at 72oc (single batch sparge 25ltrs)
Boil - 90 minutes

4500grams Pale Malt. (Marris Otter)
120 grames Crystal Malt
30 grames Chocolate Malt
30 grams Carapils Malt

45 grams Super Styrians - 90 minutes
15- 20 grams Cascade - last 15 minutes

425 grames Honey end of boil
Irish Moss last 15 minutes

Yeast S04

Sounds good but i think the honey may get lost, For the buzzbee bitter I did it was 1kg and the honey only just came through.

Somebody with more honey experince may put me right :?

Its my variation of Vaux breweries 'Waggle Dance' which if i recall the taste of the honey wasnt overpowering but you knew it was there. The only problem i can see is during the second fementation if i bottle it.

Good old Waggle Dance, I know what you mean there Dave. Priming with honey could work but it might be a bit overpowering then, and you'd have to dissolve the honey in water first..

my buzzbee turned out real nice but like you say honey only just came through probably try a little more honey next time 300g as oppose to 200g but still a fine brew

Well having got a couple of problems out of the way and being given the all clear to brew again ive decided to get this one underway today. im going for a 2 hour mash on this one and will be batch sparging. but unfortunatly this will be the last of the pics as my bloody camera just decided to die.

THE GRAIN BILL.
001-12.jpg

GETTING THE MASHTUN UP TO STRIKE TEMP
002-11.jpg

Everything went well, untill i realised that i didnt fit the hop strainer to the boiler :oops:oh well in another 1/2hours time when the boil is finished its going to be fun and games getting it out, just turned on the tap and it blocked solid so looks like im going to have to use a jug on this one.

Well all finished ended up with 20ltrs in the FV with a OG of 1.070. added the honey at the end of the boil and immediatly turned the heat off. then tranfered to the FV.

Just a quick update, the OG is now doun to 1.014, which by my calculations give me a ABV of 7.4%.
Going to give it another couple of days in the FV to see if it drops any more, then ill bottle about 10 pints and put the rest in a keg.
So my next question is - what should i use to prime the bottles with? i was thing of 1/4 of a teaspoon of honey, but if i do that im worried that it could lead to bottle bombs. Any feedback would be most welcome.

Cheers
Davesiv

Well this got bottled and kegged tonight, it got down to 1.008 which works out to about 8.2% ABV. Know i wasnt planning for it to have such a high ABV i was expecting it to be around 5%.
10 pints got bottled, 3 of which will be kept for matchfest 10, 1 bottle is going to EMMLEX, 1 bottle is going to be swapped for a piece of TUBBYSHAWS cock, 1 will be going to WEZ and another will be going to MUDDYDISCO and EVANVINE. Which leaves 2 bottle left which will go to anyone whos brave enough to try it. PM ME IF YOUR BRAVE ENOUGH TO TRY!!!!!The rest of it got put into a keg for every day drinking. But knowing me it will only last about 2 weeks.

P.S
If anyone can come up with a label i can use for the bottles ill gladly send you a bottle as well. ;)

Latest posts

Back