AG#38 Golden Blossom HPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickthebrew

Landlord.
Reaction score
Brewed 46litres of this today;

Golden Blossom (Honey Pale Ale)

6150g pale malt
1000g munich malt
500g amber malt
430g carapils

1360g blossom honey (brought to the boil with some water and added for last 15mins of boil)

20g pilot - 90mins
40g northdown - 10mins
40g challanger - 10mins
30g first gold - 10mins
20g first gold - 5mins
20g first gold - 1min

OG: 1046
Expec. FG:1012
IBU:29.5
SRM:8.2
ABV: 4.5%

I did two starters, one of wlp051 (calafornian ale v) and one of wlp023 (burton ale yeast) to see how different the end results are. I`m hoping the 051 will give me a lovely hoppy ale whilst the 023 will give me a light session ale with some nice rounded flavours. I am planning to dry hop with some fuggle and tettnang but will see how they get on before doing this. Everything went to plan and two FVs sat in the kitchen with the yeast pitched :thumb:
Time for a beer :whistle:

46litre brew ;)

I fill my boiler to capacity (60litres) and when it hits around 80degrees c I fill my tun (this brew was around 20litres water and 8kg grain) my tun is bursting at this point :D Whilst the mash is on I top up the boiler by 10 - 15 litres, I sparge untill it tastes unsweet and save the treated sparge water incase I need to back liquor. I often find that after the boil I need to back liquor as my boiler is quite fierce, I normally hit my targets set at 75% efficiency so happy with that :cheers:

cool - took me some time to realise that you don't have a seperate HLT, just use the boiler. Good work! Did you get the 60L bucket locally? - probably gonna get another from Plymouth to convert to HLT.

I got the bucket on line - was around £28 delivered (postage was quite a bit :lol: ) It works really well, when I have the room I will get some more 60litre buckets so I can have a HLT and fermenter all the same size :thumb:

The wlp051 is storming along and the wlp023 is coming along well :party:

gurtpint said:
A beer with an IBU of 29.5? Are you alright Rick? :lol:

:lol:

60% of the IBUs in this brew are late hop additions - so still loads of hops - i`m experimenting with using more hops later in the boil to maximise flavour rather than bitterness. This brew will be a lovely crisp/dry hoppy pint ideal for drinking in the sunshine ;) or the rain if there is no sun :cool:

Latest posts

Back