AG#4 Christmas Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megabrew

Reaction score
Ok so brew day is approaching and this is the plan for a Christmas Stout. Not quite an imperial stout but still pretty big:

Batch Size (L): 25.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.3
Original Gravity (OG): 1.060
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 6.10 %
Colour (L): 29, 37 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75

Grain Bill
----------------
4.000 kg Lager Malt
0.500 kg Brown Malt
0.500 kg Crystal Malt
0.300 kg Black Malt

Other Fermentables
------------------
0.500 kg Edme SFX dark malt extract or similar
0.500 kg invert sugar
0.250 kg liquid caramel

Other non Fermentables
--------------------
20g Epsom salts
3g liquorice juice
Irish moss

Hops
---------------------
40g Fuggles at copper up
40g East Kent Goldings at 1.5 hours
10g Fuggles at 2 hours
Total boil time 2.5 hours

Yeast: Danstar Nottingham Ale Yeast

Will let you know how it goes and any thoughts/comments welcome.

Cheers

It looks like a porter to me rather than what we recognize as a stout these days.

Yes it could be more porter than stout. Should I increase the black malt do you think?

I would replace the brown with roast barley, if you want stout. Leave the black in.

Agreed. For me stout has to have roasted barley, otherwise it becomes a porter. Doing an AG stout on Sunday, my recipe (not hijacking your thread, just to compare):

3.5 kg Maris Otter
0.75 kg flaked oats
0.5 kg roasted barley
0.25 kg black malt
0.25 kg crystal 90L

40g northdown 90min (all I have left)
10g challenger 90min (to make up IBU)

Rice hulls to help with the oats

Agreed. For me stout has to have roasted barley, otherwise it becomes a porter. Doing an AG stout on Sunday, my recipe (not hijacking your thread, just to compare):

3.5 kg Maris Otter
0.75 kg flaked oats
0.5 kg roasted barley
0.25 kg black malt
0.25 kg crystal 90L

40g northdown 90min (all I have left)
10g challenger 90min (to make up IBU)

Rice hulls to help with the oats

Yes that looks balanced. :thumb:

Ok I think I am going to reduce the Brown right down or take it out altogether and put in some roasted barley. I think I may have about 350g left.

I do have some flaked oats which I could put in too but perhaps that is too much?

You could putoats in iof you want, no problem.

I think 350 RB, 300 Black, 500 crystal is fine. You could put some brown in too, if you like, but I'd drop it right down, it has a very strong flavour and I have ended up conditioning beers for a long time with brown malt before they are at their best - it's great when it is conditioned though. Maybe 100g would add a nice layer of flavour. But maybe leave it out, most stouts don't contain brown malt, and you have plenty of other flavours in there.

Ok many thanks for the advice everyone. Kids leave the house at 8.30am tomorrow which is when I get going. Will do an update at the end of the day on how it went.

Latest posts

Back