AG #4 Valenwood Summer Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bolty

Regular.
Reaction score
Here is the recipe:

Length : 5.8 Gallons

Maris Otter 4.9kg
Crystal 50L 100g

20g Fuggles (4.5 AA) @ 60 min
20g Styrian Golding (3.1 AA) @ 60 min
10g Fuggles (4.5 AA) @ 15 min
30g Styrian Golding (3.1 AA) @ 15 min
1 Lemon Zest @ 10 min
30g Styrian Golding (3.1 AA) @ 5 min
1 Lemon Zest @ 5 min

Muntons Gold Yeast

Estimated OG : 1.044
Actual OG : 1.047

Today's brew went really well and very pleased with the look of it. Have realised if I am going to keep syphoning out of the pot, I will have to up my length to accommodate for losses. The expected 5.8 JUST gave me 5 (it was a push!).

Here are the piccies:

Grain bill
SANY0074.jpg

Some of the hops and the lemon 'addition'
SANY0079.jpg

The mash under way (hit 65 on the nose)
SANY0078.jpg

While the boil was under way, I had to take a picture of the baby; and here it is a beautiful baby Fuggle sprout:
SANY0077.jpg

This was probably the best break I have had in a brew so far (added the Irish Moss at 20 rather than 15)
SANY0084.jpg

Was quite a bit of hop space taken up after the syphon (not done an IPA yet, and don't think I will until I have a 'tapped' kettle)
SANY0089.jpg

The gravity reading (was a bit warm so did a correction on it). Do like the colour of it already (is lighter than the picture gets accross), and was happy I included the little touch of crystal.
SANY0090.jpg

Looks a good one.

I don't know if its just my computer,but I was unable to view a couple of photos :hmm:

Baby fuggles looking good :thumb:

Hurry up and get a tap for your kettle,makes things so much easier. ;)

I like those pictures :thumb: Looks like you got great break matter :clap:

I like the baby fuggle - keep us posted with the hop growing progress :thumb:

Just took a reading and its down to 1.011.

The muntons gold must have been supercharged, as it had a 2 inch krauzen within 24 hours!, just hope that it leaves it tasting good. :pray:

From the FV into the barrel at 1.011. Had to have a quick taste of it on the way. Reminds me slightly of Hoegaarden :wha:

Only a bit of lemon in there, but it is noticeable. I will keep you posted with the final product.

Yeah, good stuff. I'm really intrigued about getting the citrus notes by, well, adding citrus! Makes a lot of sense if it works, just don't understand why more people don't do it if it's the case. I'm definitely up for a stab at adding lemon zest if you get worthwhile results that differ from say, bunging in Cascades, Amarillo or other 'fruity' aroma hops to steep. I've just brewed with Willamette, for example, and the FV smells of pineapple - in a good way though :)

i've seen people elsewhere on the net using fruit zest in their brews with good results :)

I'm thinking about doing this for a summer ale i plan to brew soon :thumb:

Don't think this one will make it through to the summer...

SANY0093.jpg

Tasting notes:
Starts off with a tiny bit of sweetness and the twang of lemon, followed by the middle of styrians and the lemon following through, then finished with a medium bitterness and slight soapyness (re Hoegaarden).

TBH, I dont care for if it drops fully clear or not, or even if it lasts till summer, as this is a DEFINITE brew again.

Cheers, and go mental with ya lemons!

:drink:

Nice one bolty - it's always good to hear someone's brewed a cracker :thumb:

Latest posts

Back