AG#50 Keith Moon

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickthebrew

Landlord.
Reaction score
OK so todays brew is almost a blue moon clone - but not quite due to having an almost empty store cupboard!! :)
Last blue moon I did was lovey - the only other moon I can think of is the legend that was Keith :cool:

So in honour to one of the greatest bands ever my slightly different wheat brew - Keith Moon :whistle:

46litres @ 4.4%

4500g Pale malt
1640g Wheat malt
1380g Flaked oats
610g Vienna malt

454g Jar of tesco value marmalade (295g sugar) plus 205g white sugar
30g crushed coriander seed - last ten mins

60min boil,
25g first gold - 60mins
30g hallertauer hersbrucker - 10mins

Expected OG:1044 Expected FG:1010 IBU:12.8

Will be fermenting with wlp400 (witbier) even though some recipes suggest us05 for blue moon I was happy with this yeast last time. Would of liked more wheat but none in my store and LHBS was all out :(
Extra sugar just to bump the gravity up and I only had 30g of HH!

I will be listening to The Who during the brew - kicking of with some quadrophenia and then moving onto some all time classics!!

Happy days :drink:

Good one Rick - I have never thought about putting a jar of marmalade into a beer.

Have a good day. :cheers:

Worked a treat with the last one - only tried it as I didn`t have time to order in any of the dried curaco orange peel that the recipe reccomended :D

I haven`t taken pics on a brewday for ages so thought i`d do a few today - loads of new people on the forum and when I started out I could have looked at pics of buckets of grain etc all day long!! :D

So i brew outside so weather is a big issue, if its dry i`ll brew, if it`s windy i`ll brew, if it`s snowed i`ll brew! Rain is a pain though - today there was a little drizzle so OK - if its tipping it down I won`t brew but if its dry and starts raining half way through its out with the umbrella and plastic bags over the extension lead :whistle:

my 60litre boiler on workbench (wooden plank on top to stop cheap MDF workbench from warping ;) )
IMGP5395.jpg

28litre mash tun - this setup can brew me 46litres at up to 5% abv :thumb:
IMGP5396.jpg

my other brews - 12 bottles raspberry wine, 12 bottles peach wine and 12 bottles blackcurrant wine - this keeps the wife happy and allows me to clutter the house up with brewing gear and two big FVs in the kitchen :cool:
Six empty DJs to be filled tommorrow :drink:

IMGP5394.jpg

hops, marmalade, coriander and wlp400 yeast (was split so just kickstarting it - was also six months in the fridge but fired up all OK)
IMGP5393.jpg

mashed in and out at around 66 degrees c
IMGP5397.jpg

IMGP5398.jpg

my highly technical gravity fed sparging system, tinfoil and jug :thumb:
IMGP5399.jpg
IMGP5400.jpg

meanwhile marmalade and sugar melted with some hot water and coriander crushed, I dropped the whole coriander by 4grams and added a pinch of ground coriander (wanted the seeds for my curry for tea)
IMGP5401.jpg
IMGP5402.jpg

next was on with the boil - my bucket has done around 40 of my brews and is great - one element change and thats been it - keep the elements clean and you shouldn`t go wrong :D

Up to boil, bits and bobs added and sixty mins late all done
IMGP5403.jpg

IMGP5404.jpg

cooling - this method has done me well and is probably easier on the water meter than a wort chiller! However in the future when I have a garage or brew shed I plan to go down the stainless steel route and plate chiller etc ( dreams of moving to a bigger place :D )
IMGP5405.jpg

All went to plan today 46litres in the FV and yeast pitched - hit 1042 so all good.
Brewday number 50!!!! Happy days :drink:

label for bottles -

BeerLabel.jpg

:cool:

Dunfie said:
I have never thought about putting a jar of marmalade into a beer.

Have a good day. :cheers:

Neither have I. I did put some in a bottle of Vodka last year and that was amazing.

Good luck with the brew Rick and the gravity sparge system with tin foil is what I use thanks to those pic's you used top post and like you when I started I used those as inspiration for my set up.

Latest posts

Back