AG#7 - Another Hob Goblin Clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corby_brewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
Right today im brewing another atempt at a Hob Goblin Clone. Now this brew is going to be the first one using my converted coolbox as a mashtun.

Recipe -

5 Kg Maris otter
200 Grms Crystal Malt
200 Grms Flaked Barley
200 Grms Torrified Wheat
100 Grms Chocolate Malt
20 Grms Black Malt

55.00 Grms Fuggles (5.6%) - 90 min
20.00 Grms Styrians (5.8%) - 15 min
15.00 Grms Styrians (5.8%) - Heat off.
HLT coming up to temperature,
135.jpg

My helper for today,
134.jpg

The grain bill.
136.jpg

The grain goes in. As you can see the coolbox is full to the brim. so it looks like a batch sparge for this one. As im yet to finish connecting the SWA which Martin sent me.
137.jpg

Mash on. The sleeping bag is my daughters by the way. Temperature in the tun is still 66oc after 1 hour, so a big thank you to EskimoBob for the how to on you web site.
138.jpg

A couple of pictures of the yeast starter.
139.jpg
140.jpg

The hops all ready.
141.jpg

I like the sound of that recipe, that's going on my ‘to do’ list.

Have a good'un :cheers:

Well it wouldnt be one of my brewdays unless something went wrong.
Just started to weigh my hops out and found im short on Styrians. So im going to replace the 20grms at the last 15 minutes with Northdown.
First batch Recyled 6 ltrs and its clear, with hydro reading of .072. As you can tell from the pictures below ive still not got round to fitting my hop filter to the Burco, so will again be using the hop bag.
143.jpg

144.jpg

145.jpg

Anyway i collected 15ltrs from the first batch, so filled the mashtun up again, gave it a good stir and now will give it half an hour before i run off the second batch.
Right coming to the boil.
146.jpg

First load of hops go in.
147.jpg

Well all done and dusted. Ended up with 20ltr at 1.072. Well below what i was expecting on the volume, but well above the expected OG
Here are the last of the pics.
151.jpg

152.jpg

153.jpg

Decided to liquor back to 25ltrs, so now the OG is 1.048. Which is just what i was after. Ok so its not going to be as strong but ive now got a extra 5ltrs. :D

The yeast used on this brew as turned out to be a right monster. Ive skimmed the head off it twice now and it still keeps coming back. The OG is now down to 1.016 and in my honest opinion it smells just like the original hob goblin. So fingers crossed im going to get this one right.

Latest posts

Back