AG #7 Dunkelweisen

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeg3

Landlord.
Reaction score
Got this on the go on Sunday:

2.5kg wheat malt
1.5kg lager malt
500g Briess Caramel Vienna 20L
500g Briess Munich 10L
200g Briess Midnight Wheat Malt 550L
100g rice hulls

27g Tettnang pellet 90mins
9g Hallertauer Hersbrucker 15mins
1tsp irish moss

OG 1.046, 1.010 after primary

I can't call it a Bavarian wheat beer because I used an ale yeast. Couldn't get my hands on a liquid yeast in time and need some beer soon!

Anyhow, just racked to a secondary FV and had a quick taste, obviousy not getting the aroma from a wheat yeast, but the fruitiness of the wheat is definitely coming through along with caramel and a rich toffee from the vienna and the dark wheat..

Shaping up to be a very good winter wheat beer.

I plan to leave in the secondary for 10 days, then bottle and condition for 14 days.

Will update when I crack the first one

Took a gravity reading tonight and had a taste.

Now 1.008 which will work out at 5.2% once bottled, so not too bad. It tastes lovely; a nice cross between a wheat beer and a malty English ale. Next time I will use a wheat beer yeast though.

The dark Vienna Malt really brings a nuttiness to it, and the wheat softens it out. Very pleased

Sounds really nice, and interesting. I want to get my hands on some midnight/roasted wheat.

Keep us posted. And what yeast did you use?

Used s04 yeast. Bottled it this evening. All fermentation had ceased. 50g sugar for priming. Will give it two weeks then try it.

I originally went for this because I needed a quick beer and it's cold, so opted for a dunkel

Sounds really nice, and interesting. I want to get my hands on some midnight/roasted wheat.

Keep us posted. And what yeast did you use?
The briess black malts (blackprinz and midnight wheat) have less bitterness than other black malts, so a lot of it can used - relatively - without too much harshness, to add a lot of flavour and colour

The briess black malts (blackprinz and midnight wheat) have less bitterness than other black malts, so a lot of it can used - relatively - without too much harshness, to add a lot of flavour and colour

Cheers jegs. I think I'll probably end up with European chocolate wheat, not many places stock the Briess malts.

Yeah I nearly used choc wheat, but my local shop buys the briess malt in bulk and repacks it, and I liked the sound of the midnight wheat.

I'd love to try choc wheat and dark wheat tho at some point

Cracked open the first bottle tonight.

14cbdf1c76d6ad54bbd655a0a494b9f9.jpg

I'm very impressed, it had a nice head when I poured it but it has subsided by the time I had taken the picture.

A very dark ruby colour, lots of banana even though I used an ale yeast (S-04) and a real rich malty balance. A good balance of malt and flavour from the hops.

A month on from the first bottle and this gets better and better. It hasn't got the full on wheat beer flavours and esters from using a wheat yeast, but it's got a lovely roasted sweet flavour to it.

One of my best beers. I'll be doing again in the autumn but will use WB-06 or 3068. Using the midnight wheat was definitely worth it

Back