AG#7 Quite Peculier

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brilliant RTB, very impressed.
Your's is the second boiler to go down in a week and both of you recoverd well!
Reinforces my decision to hang on to my old boiler.
Bet you end up with an excellent brew, best of luck.

must be cursed boiler week , dont know what im more impressed with rick how you saved youre brew or how you managed to take pics when **** hit fan [when mine went i was runnin round like a blue arsed fly] :lol:

Brew`s coming along nicely! Got a bit too excitied,
IMGP2126.jpg

better get this cleaned up :shock:

leeboozer said:
looks like youve got loads of honeycomb trying to do a runner there rick :thumb:

Coat it in chocolate ooooh beer flavoured crunchie.

Is that normal?? my brew only managed to touch the lid not force it off. Looks nice and dark.

I used nottingham yeast which gives a pretty lively initial ferment on the top of your brew :P
Snail did you use the yeast that came with your kit? The kits tend to come with about 6grams of yeast which is under pitching really, if you use a decent yeast instead of the kit one you`ll have a better result ;) - try S-04 you can buy it in 12gram packets,different yeast types can have a huge impact on the flavour of your brew - i used notty as it gives a clean ferment so the malts in my brew should shine through - i hope :lol:

Bottled up this evening - FG was 1010 giving me 43 bottles at 6.6% :party: This won`t get touched for two months as its for my dad for his birthday (well minus a few tasters along the way :cool: )
I`m gonna do a blind taste on my dad with a real bottle of old peculier and a bottle of quite peculier - will post that result!
IMGP2146.jpg

After the effort this brew took with the boiler breaking hope it turns out good! New boiler ready for brewday this weekend and then will fix old boiler for a backup :lol:

:drink:

well done rick hope yer old man likes it, it'll take some will power to leave those for a couple o months :grin:

Got there in the end aye matey! You gotta love the sneaky tasters! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

It`s only been a week since bottling - and this brew needs a good few weeks conditioning.......but thought i`d see how it was coming along...
:drink:
really impressed!! Slight carbonation (enough for this style) great malt taste with hops well hidden but doing what they need to as it dosen`t taste over sweet - good head and lovely plum/toffee flavour - the black treacle has really added to the flavour and was a bit overbearing when I bottled but has mellowed already. Will taste one a week for research :lol: untill my Dad`s b`day, he`s getting a case of twenty so the rest are for me :cool:

Will brew this again :clap:

Had a try at this one for my second AG Brew. Kept the recipe almost as stated at the top of this thread, but reduced the hops to 60g in total, based on some of the earlier comments. Second runnings stayed good and dark, so managed to get about 34L from the mash. I only have a 30L Burco though, so ended up having to dump some - Booh!

By topping up the Burco as it evaporated, I managed to get 28L at the end, with an OG of 1.064. Based on the earlier photos of lively fermentaion, I split the 28L between my 25L fermenter and a gallon demijohn to allow room to grow. Bucket is bubbling like it's posessed, but seems contained. Demijohn is bubbling out through the bubbler, so I'm having to keep an eye on it.

Will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for posting the recipe.

One question - I'll be bottling the finished article. What would you recommend priming with, corn sugar, or a spot more treacle?

Great to see an old
Brew day post being brewed again ! I think I primed with brown sugar but really can't recall :drunk: I find the priming sugar doesn't really have a big effect but using the dark treacle seems a nice idea - good luck and I'd love to hear how it turns out :D

Fantastic Rick, howd the test with your Dad go?

If i get my head round all this i'd love to follow your post (minus the malfunctioning boiler) to attempt it myself, Old peculiar is one of my favorite ales

Latest posts

Back