AG#9 Pacific Gold - take two

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickthebrew

Landlord.
Reaction score
This is a tweaked version of the very first AG brew i did last october, was wandering what to brew and thought i`d brew this again using US-05 instead of S-04 and adding some amber malt and some challenger to the original recipe. The eight brews that i have done and the advice and help from the forum has given me the understanding to brew some great tasting beer - well I like it :lol:

I`ve weighed out the grainbill and have everything else ready so so long as its not raining loads will be a early start tommorrow :cool:

Pacific Gold (version 2 ;) )

4400g Pale Malt - Maris Otter
300g Amber malt
200g Crystal malt
300g white sugar

Hop schedule

30gram Pacific Gem 90min boil
20gram First Gold 10min boil
15gram Challenger 10min boil
30gram First Gold 30min steep at flame out

expected OG: 1053
expected FG: 1013
IBU: 53.7
SRM 11.4
expected ABV:5.2%

The bitterness and ABV are nearly the same as the original brew, i`m adding the challanger as i find it to be such a great flavoured hop and would encourage anyone to give the high alpha pacific gem a go i`ve had great results with them :cheers: Brewday post tommorrow :drink:

I hope it's not covered in 4" of snow like it is here :( There was nothing at 10pm last night :eek:
Looking good hope you get the brew on (Fingers crossed)

Hope its going well Rick .. raining here!

What's the aa of your pacific gem?

Have a good brewday Rick.....couple of inches of snow here and its still coming down

no snow - just about to start sparge :party:
Tony my pacific gem are 14.6% aa - i`ve used them a few times and reckon they would work well as bittering hops with brambling cross late adddition ( think you said your all bramling cross could do with a bit more bitterness, i`ve had a couple tasters of mine and it needs a few more weeks conditioning ;) )

Pics later.............. :D

same drill as normal - boiler on around 9am and up to temp before half past, water treated with campden, grain was all weighed out with gypsum (1/2 tsp in mash and 1/2tsp in the boil)
IMGP2227.jpg

second outing for the boiler - this time I put in on some bits of solid wood on the workbench (cheap workbench :whistle: ) as the mdf started to bend on last weeks brew :lol: Really happy with this boiler - even happier that i made it and it worked! Didn`t leak and hasn`t broken :lol:
IMGP2229.jpg

warmed up the tun and doughed in - tun temp adjusted with a little cold water as was a bit high first off,
IMGP2228.jpg
IMGP2230.jpg

mash on by 9:30am, time for breakfast and time to weigh out hops,
IMGP2234.jpg

mash tun spot on job - again I made it and it`s worked so far so good :party:
IMGP2236.jpg

sparge
IMGP2238.jpg
IMGP2237.jpg

back into boiler, the little black line is 25litres which will give me 23litres after deadspace and hops soaking up the wort - so it looks like i`m gonna be a little short after evaportion :hmm: will add some treated cold water if i need to at the end,
IMGP2239.jpg
IMGP2240.jpg

as the wort comes to the boil i switch one element off - the pic below shows how aggresive the two element boil is :twisted:
IMGP2241.jpg

no problems today - 1st hops added, second hops and sugar added and copper finings - light rain shower but stopped
IMGP2242.jpg
IMGP2244.jpg
IMGP2245.jpg
IMGP2243.jpg

added steep hops for 30mins after the boil and all finished and cleaned up by 3ish :party:
leftover filth
IMGP2245.jpg

left to cool then dry pitched US-05, also managed to get a couple gallons of blackberry and apple wine on whilst brewing this ;)

time for a :drink: or two!

Wez said:
Looks like you aerated the back doors off that wort :cool:

it was in two buckets whilst cooling - you should of seen what it looked like twenty mins before that pic :lol: i use a whisk to areate and give it some and then some more :lol:

11 days in the FV and down to 1004 - still looked like it was going but bottled up tonight (busy tommorrow and brewing on the weekend :party: ) So final ABV around 5.8% :thumb:

38bottles boxed up and in the cupboard - stocks are looking good :cool:
IMGP2261.jpg

:thumb:

cheeky little taste tonight - very nice, cleared already - i can`t get my head around US-O5 ? Sometimes it doesn`t want to clear and this brew is nearly crystal :thumb: Does need a little more time but i`m really loving this brew. :cool:

Pacific Gold - part three will a future brew :drink:

Latest posts

Back