AG Hopping question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott33b

Reaction score
Hi folks. I'm currently experimenting with AG. This is my second attempt. First attempt very tasty IMO. First attempt I left the wort and hops in the electric boiler overnight to cool. Then transferred to FV and added yeast. This seemed to work.

Attempt 2, should I boil hops and then transfer to FV straight away?
Really what I was wondering if the hops do anything during the cooling period if left overnight?
I'm using cascade and Amarillo.

my experience of leaving boil hops in for too long is a grassy, crappy off flavour that dissipates with time. certainly I don't believe it adds much!

You could remedy this by adding your boil hops in a bag, taking the bag out after the boil, and leaving your aroma hops in. They will probably extract more good flavours over time, but I can't say for sure.

I usually transfer to my FV and shove it in a bath of cool water. Cool in about 4-5 hours, no infections or bad flavours so far! Remember to aerate with a long spoon if you do it this way - transferring from the boiler (your current method) will do that for you. I'd be happier leaving wort in an FV than clogging up your elements etc overnight...

I use a no chill cube which is a 25L HDPE jerry can. It was about £7 on eBay. You can safely leave the wort for days, or even months. I fill it about 10 minutes after flame out.

Latest posts

Back