AG no.11 - American Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alastair70

In need of constant supervision
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on James Morton's Undead Pale Ale, this is a more malty APA with a single hop, Citra. Sounded interesting so I thought I'd give it a go.

Fermentables
Maris Otter 4.5kg
Caramunich I 0.4kg
Melanodin 0.2kg
Crystal 15L 0.2kg
Carapils 0.2kg

Water
Ca 100ppm, Alk 20ppm, SO4 110, Cl 60
Mash vol 18L
Sparge 14L

Mash
1 hour - 65C, Mash out 10min - 75C

Boil - 60min
Citra additions
25G at 60min, 20G at 10min, 20G at 5min, 20G flameout - 30min hop stand
Dry hop - 50g 3 days before bottling

Yeast
Fermentis Safale US-05

21L in fermenter. OG 1.056. Garage smells amazing, it's like a Citra bomb went off. Hope that gets carried over into the final product.

As has always been the case when I've used Fermentis yeasts, this one went off like a rocket and bubbled like mad for 3 days. Checked gravity today and it's down to 1.012 giving an ABV of 5.8%.
Looks like I'll be working from home next week due to the plague. Thinking I'll dry hop tomorrow, cold crash Monday and bottle on Tuesday.

First tester. Tastes great, malt forward with a well rounded mouthfeel. The bitterness level is just right and the use of a single hop allows the Citra to sing. Another weeks conditioning and the head should last until the end of the pint.
I’d definitely recommend this recipe, will be brewing again, but at the recommended ABV of 6.5. This was brewed a bit lower as a keg was going to feature at a dinner party planned for next week pre-Covid. Didn’t want to wipe out the guests before the food arrived. Looks like I’ll be drinking it myself in a fortnight.

4733FE01-DCBB-48DE-B42F-D48B901ED6D2.jpeg

Last edited:
First tester. Tastes great, malt forward with a well rounded mouthfeel. The bitterness level is just right and the use of a single hop allows the Citra to sing. Another weeks conditioning and the head should last until the end of the pint.
I’d definitely recommend this recipe, will be brewing again, but at the recommended ABV of 7.5. This was brewed a bit lower as a keg was going to feature at a dinner party planned for next week pre-Covid. Didn’t want to wipe out the guests before the food arrived. Looks like I’ll be drinking it myself in a fortnight.

View attachment 24122
Mmmm I love a bit of citra, looks a good recipe!

The original grainbill weighs in at 5.5kg, but proportions are the same. The hop additions are slightly higher too, to balance the higher ABV.
Its exactly the type of APA I like to drink.
That’s another house brew brew sorted.

Latest posts

Back