Irish Red, (well almost)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alastair70

In need of constant supervision
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tried to stick as close to the Bru recipe from the recent podcast, with the usual issues of malt substitutions arising.

Water - 22L batch
Ca 110, Alk 35, SO4 110, Cl 100

Fermentables
4.5kg Maris Otter
0.15kg CaraAmber
0.15kg Crisp Extra Light Crystal
100g Roasted Barley

Mash
60 min 67C
10 min 75C

Hops
40g Fuggles 60min
20g Fuggles 15min
Protoflac 15min

Yeast
Lallemand Winsor

OG 1.048, spot on.
Expecting an EBC of 30, which is top end of style but looks liked its tipped over into amber. Swig from the trial tastes great, sweet and malty with no obvious astringency from the roasted barley. I'll substitute the dark crystal for something lighter next time.

IMG_2255.jpeg

Looks like fermentation has stalled at 1.015, Expected FG 1.011.
I'm thinking it's the initial wort oxygenation is to blame. What do you all reckon about opening the fermentor giving it a good splash? Or should I just sit it out and see what happens.

Screenshot 2021-07-08 at 21.25.04.png

Looks like fermentation has stalled at 1.015, Expected FG 1.011.
I'm thinking it's the initial wort oxygenation is to blame. What do you all reckon about opening the fermentor giving it a good splash? Or should I just sit it out and see what happens.

View attachment 50476
The yeast is now in anaerobic mode, you cant add oxygen at this stage, sit it out and maybe check you didn't mash at a higher temperature.

Cheers foxy, that’s kind of what I thought. Mash temp was 67 throughout, but I’d left the pump off by accident after checking the pH at 5 minutes. The upper portion of the mash could have been a few degrees higher as the thermowell is at the bottom of the grainfather. Hadn’t thought of that as a possibility.

Latest posts

Back