AG4 - Malcolm's Tower Ale 20/4/2010 with photos (and video!)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andymacintyre

Reaction score
I will be brewing this tonight - a slightly modified version of Dunfie's "Malcolm's Tower Ale". Slightly modified in that I have upped the aroma hops a bit to use use up what I have left.
Tin of golden syrup for the invert sugar - this will be my first go at adding sugars to an AG brew.
I will be splitting the brewday to help out with the kids bath and bedtime so the schedule is approx:

HLT on 3.45
Dough-in / Mash on 4.30pm
6pm mashout
6.45 finished sparge - wort in boiler
Kids bath and bedtime 6.45-8pm
Boil start c8.30pm.
Flame out 9.30pm
Chilled wort in fermeneter - 10.00pm
Pitch yeast 10.15pm.

I might try taking some photos for a change and post them later.

malcolms%20tower.jpg

Here are a few photos of preparation for the brew:

1.JPG

Scotts rolled oats for toasting in the oven - 150c for an hour.

2.JPG

The brewery!

3.JPG

Temperature-controlled freezer for fermenting in. Small heat pad and a fan controlled by an ATC 800.

4.JPG

Some I made earlier.

5.JPG

HLT made from a Burco boiler insulated with a camping mat. Heats up nice and fast. Holds around 40l to the brim.

6.JPG

Hops all weighed out and Tate and Lyle syrup ready to go.

7.JPG

Liquor tank - not treated the liquor this time - adding 1/2tsp gypsum to the mash and 1/2tsp gypsum and calcium chloride to the boil with first hops.

8.JPG

Mash tun and grain bill waiting for the oats which I can smell in the oven.. Best rescue them before they burn!

9.JPG

HLT getting up to temperature.

10.JPG

Mash liquor into the tun.

11.JPG

Doughing in the grains.

11a.JPG

Doughed in. 67.6c - close enough.

12.JPG

All tucked up in a space blanket for 90mins.

13.JPG

Lost a bit over a degree over 90mins..

14.JPG

First runnings.

15.JPG

Jugging first runnings back in.

16.JPG

Batch sparge.

17.JPG

30l in the boiler. Now, tucked up for an hour or so while I help with the kids bedtime. Boil on by about 8.30, I hope....!

18.JPG

Coming up to the boil.

19.JPG

Rolling boil.

20.JPG

Copper hops - 50g Challenger.

21.JPG

Rolling boil.

22.JPG

Styrian Goldings at flame-out.

23.JPG

Hops steeping.

24.JPG

Runoff.

25.JPG

Runoff.

26.JPG

Hops left in boiler.

27.JPG

Cooling the wort.

28.JPG

Cooling the wort.

29.JPG

Plenty aeration going on.

30.JPG

22l in the fermenter. Lost a litre or so as left fermenter tap open and was too busy taking photos!

31.JPG

Cold break material forming in the fermenter.

Well that's stage 1 of the brew complete and photos posted. Kids are now kicking off so all hands required on deck - hope I will get the boil on for 8.30...!
:thumb:

Hows it going Mac? Love the darts, I have a similar brew room. I find the darts occupy me heid, prevent me from dubious "good ideas" when brewing.

The darts were a great idea! I didn't manage to throw too many arrows tonight though as I normally do a 90min boil and did 60min tonight so not quite so much "hanging around" time.
I do that find a pint of homebrew and throwing a few darts quite a good way to relax. :grin:

Good set of photos Andy. It will be interesting to see how the roasted oats will work in it. :thumb:

Yeah I wasn't sure whether to toast them or not so thought it give them a bit of a toast in the oven. Fermentation is well underway this morning. Pitched rehydrated Gervin English Ale yeast into it. It has got to work very quickly. :-)

32.JPG

That's fermentation well underway in under 12 hours..
I have dropped the temperature from 23c to 18c for the remainder of the fermentation.

andymacintyre said:
32.JPG

That's fermentation well underway in under 12 hours..
I have dropped the temperature from 23c to 18c for the remainder of the fermentation.

Nice Krausen Andy, what yeast ??

Cheers,

Screwy

This beer was fabulous I have to say, I kept going back to it at Calum's brew day. Great biscuity background from the toasted oats.

Nice set up in the garage, I would love to have a dedicated brewing chest freezer.

Geoff

Latest posts

Back