Airlock

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the 2 part airlocks, as when I first pitch a brew I just remove the top part and put a blow off tube on the bottom part, then once things settle down I fill the bottom part with Starsan, pull the tube off and put the cap back on once again. :thumb: If you've seen the video I posted from my recent brew it's practically blowing the Starsan out of a 2 litre water bottle.... Gotta love CML Real Ale yeast....:twisted:

I found with the bubblers that a vigorous fermentation will just blow the liquid clean out anyway, and they seem to have a higher chance of somebody bashing them in passing somehow.

I've been eyeing up the bigger 3 part ones though like the US brewers use....

I prefer the 2 piece air locks to the s type just because they're easier to clean.
The big 2 piece ones from maltmiller are great, way less likely to blow off than the little ones from wilko etc

Worked for me too. Pretty sure that's what they call a 3 piece airlock, as you have the bottom bit, the bit that goes over the bottom bit, then a lid that goes on over that no? That's the sort I want to try at some point as they're supposed to be bigger. I'm finding with the 2 part ones that even a gentle bubbling seems to empty them out in about 3 days....

Back