Airlocks

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sc0tty81

Reaction score
So after plenty of reading, I see that a lot if you have airlocks on your FVs, i understand this is not essential but what benefit would it give if I put airlocks in the lids of my FVs, given that they are dirt cheap I'm probably gonna order a couple anyway, just wondered what they add to the process?

jonnymorris said:
LeedsBrewer said:
you get to spend time watching the bubbles :thumb:
Which is more satisfying than you might imagine.

I imagine it is quite exciting, better than staring at a plain white bucket with a lid on :shock:

Listening to them is even better.

However, there's no point fitting an airlock if the lid doesn't fit very well. I have two FVs - the 30L is stiffer and has a very well fitting lid. The airlock works nicely. The 25L is much more flexible and although I haven't tried an airlock I don't think the CO2 has much trouble escaping around the lid.

:lol: I've got a WOW on and two more are going on tonight...

...PURELY for the airlock orchestra!

rpt said:

However, there's no point fitting an airlock if the lid doesn't fit very well. I have two FVs - the 30L is stiffer and has a very well fitting lid. The airlock works nicely. The 25L is much more flexible and although I haven't tried an airlock I don't think the CO2 has much trouble escaping around the lid.

We have an abundance of white tubs at work that look like ideal FVs each come with a sealed lid and locking strap, we have ptfe delivered in them and there's always loads laying around I'm thinking of using them for fermenting, I would say they are approximately 30 litres capacity

sc0tty81 said:
rpt said:

We have an abundance of white tubs at work that look like ideal FVs each come with a sealed lid and locking strap, we have ptfe delivered in them and there's always loads laying around I'm thinking of using them for fermenting, I would say they are approximately 30 litres capacity

Check they are food grade!

My first fv i got with the youngs starter kit, i fitted an airlock to the lid, with a grummet . Not one bubble, even with a coopers stout brewing in it. My second fv, that i got last saturday is the the type with a 4 0r 5 inch diameter screw on lid with a rubber washer, that i smeared vasilene all round and tightened well. The lid has a hole in it to accomodate a rubber bung with a hole in it to fit the airlock. I started my st peters golden ale brew on saturday...... and not one bloody bubble!!! Ive had a peek in through the hole with the bung removed and all looks fine, a good froth, and sitting at 20 c. I may have to spend a totally bubbless existance :( cant understand it, its a well sealed fv.

we'll get calumscott to record the sounds of his bubbling orchestra, stick it on a cd and send it to you to listen to :thumb: :tongue:

LeedsBrewer said:
we'll get calumscott to record the sounds of his bubbling orchestra, stick it on a cd and send it to you to listen to :thumb: :tongue:

Aye, you think that's funny but that to me is like the proverbial red rag to the equally proverbial bull...

...one MP3 of bubbling airlocks will be available to download in the next couple of days... :rofl:

Well my second brew looks a lot more lively than the first, most likely due to me having good temperature control this time around, it's bubbled up enough to bow out the lid of the FV slightly, missing an airlock, this could have been so exciting to watch!

calumscott said:
LeedsBrewer said:

Aye, you think that's funny but that to me is like the proverbial red rag to the equally proverbial bull...

...one MP3 of bubbling airlocks will be available to download in the next couple of days... :rofl:
Well i wont pay more than £12.50 for the download :nah:

Latest posts

Back