Alcohol awareness

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When i started homebrewing in 2006 I found a local ad for homebrew equipment ...when I meet him I had a BIG shock......he said you can have it all for Free because it had ruined his life ....it started at school where he would sell it and then he had a family later on he was starting to have a very big Problem with drink and brewing very strong Cider, wine , mead, moon , ales etc and the upshot of this is he lost the lot...........The house, wife, kids , the had a nice German car , and Job..........and when a meet him he was a rented small old flat drinking Tennents super .....

all very Sad and a learning curve for me........Sooooo please Gents AND ladies please be carefull......the body and liver is very strong but Stress and % is not a good mix.asad.

For some reason I can only see half of the article (half a page missing left to right) .

If I'm reading it right a non drinker has approx a 0.9% chance (914 in 100,000) of developing a alcohol-related health problem, and a person who has 5 drinks a day has a 1.2% chance (1252 in 100,000).
I think I'll take my chances and stick with the beer.
:smallcheers:

If I'm reading it right a non drinker has approx a 0.9% chance (914 in 100,000) of developing a alcohol-related health problem, and a person who has 5 drinks a day has a 1.2% chance (1252 in 100,000).

Me too. Seems the chances of affliction aren't that far apart, so if I'm stricken I'd be happy to know I've earned it; well pi**** off if I hadn't.

who wants to live forever ...when over 90 ...first you cannot SEE and then you have work all your life only to sell your house too look after your own care at £4.000 a month.....GREAT.

Thinking of you Grandad....1920 / 2016 Catalina Flyboat Gunner , and GPO Foreman.

Thanks for that dan. I'm hopeless at maths so I'd never be able to work that out.

Newspapers love health (scare) stories. There's a never ending round of drinking too much will kill you but on the other hand alcohol in moderation will help you live for ever.

Having said that I have fairly recently drastically cut down my alcohol consumption

Sir David Spiegelhalter, professor of the understanding of risk at Cambridge University, said "Given the pleasure presumably associated with moderate drinking, claiming there is no 'safe' level does not seem an argument for abstention."​

There you go, that explains it.

That's 5 drinks a day...does anyone drink five pints a day,every day. Well I suppose lots do but how many? I recon you'd be permanently over the limit...just seen some boffin going on about it on the telly and even he said he isn't willing to give up booze. I recon it's a cover up for all the **** in our food and water supplies and all the phenols in our furniture etc...that'll kill us much quicker than a few beers.
**** em I say!

That's 5 drinks a day...does anyone drink five pints a day,every day.

I said in another thread 2 pints a day doesn't seem excessive to me but its 5 units a day or 35 per week which if you believe their stats is the grim reaper waiting round the corner. :roll:

Scaremongering for another tax hike on alcohol which they will then claim is going to go on the NHS to help combat alcoholism and to promote awareness....
Just another plumped up pile of garbage from government.....

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Scaremongering for another tax hike on alcohol which they will then claim is going to go on the NHS to help combat alcoholism and to promote awareness....
Just another plumped up pile of garbage from government.....

I think you have probably hit the nail on the head.

Remember when it was all about 5 a day, this from the Daily Mail sums it up -

Guidelines should be changed to encourage people to eat just three portions of fruit and vegetables a day, a major study suggests.

The NHS for the last 15 years has focused on its 'five-a-day' message in a bid to improve people's health.

But three quarters of people in Britain fail to hit the target. Researchers said it may be more realistic to aim for three a day – but make each portion bigger.

Currently in Britain a 'portion' is defined as 80g - meaning five daily portions is 400g.

The scientists said a better option might be to advise people to have a larger 125g portion three times a day – giving a slightly lower total of 375g.

Eating more than this, they found in a huge global study, resulted in no additional health benefit.

They said getting variety in types of fruit and veg is not important - the total you eat is the key thing - so fewer but bigger portions might be more achievable.

But other experts said people should stop obsessing about guidelines, arguing that the simplest message would be just to make sure you eat some fruit or veg with every meal, and forget about trying to count.

Read in full - www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-4832866/Forget-5-day-3-portions-fruit-veg-good.html

"But other experts said people should stop obsessing about guidelines, arguing that the simplest message would be just to make sure you drink some beer or wine with every meal, and forget about trying to count."

I changed the words a little bit for fun.

I wonder how many folks on here pay attention to their other health markers like BMI (yeah, I know it's not the greatest) and fitness levels. I lost 5 stone (32kg) over 2017 and now have a healthy BMI and can run a sub 30 min 5k at 53yo. I still drink way too much (100+ units a week) but it's one of lifes pleasures for me (5-6 beers a night). I take no meds, have never smoked and easily get my 5 a day. The way I justify it to myself is that, for me, everything else is in order so that's my one vice. Have a mate drinks the same, just got a clean bill of health (see the Poll thread) - maybe he's just one of the lucky ones. Gotta die someday and I'm sure as hell trying to make it an enjoyable ride :beer1:

I had a frank dialogue with a GP few decades ago. I was leaving for the UK :UKflag: and thought that a last checkup under the current insurance was not a bad idea (he thought so too :laugh8:).

With regards to smoking: 5 or less should not be worried about. Still the stench and all, but it was in his eyes better to be a relaxed smoker of 5 a day than a stressed nonsmoker. Same reason why GPs DON"T always put too much stress on pregnant women: a few sigs a day is less bad that quitting smoking during the pregnancy.

Beer doesn't make me a bad boy. I don't drive under influence, am not abusive, actually drink most of it in my own house. I check my daily veggies and fruit, do the chores, have healthy bedtimes, you name it. It's just the 40 or so units per week that can be frowned upon. (oh and my BMI... different story)

*shrug*

All's well here. BBC has lost a lot of credit with me the past decade. Seems there's always a vegan intern at the helm on their facebook site for instance. Bit sad about that.

Back