Aldi Punk IPA copy, anyone tried it ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive yet to try.
Probably ar a sober state to avoid rantyness.
Whats the price of it?
It doesnt appeal as its in a can but if its less than 1.49 a go i will try the one.
Afterall Punk is one of my beer staples.

Tried a couple at the week-end. It's not the same as Punk IPA but I'd drink the odd one now & again (I only drink Punk occasionally anyway). When I've brewed my own version, I pretty much halve the hops from the published recipe aiming for the style but not the intensity (I think it's a bit OTT).

Was in my local Aldi today so took the plunge and purchased 1x 330ml tin for £1.25. Well its no Punk IPA, but its a not bad copy. It smells like Punk, jut a bit richer, and not as sharp, and that applies to the taste as well. It tastes more malty, and has nothing like the hop hit of Punk, its drinkable, but i wont be drinking it. A better bet is the Grapefruit IPA they sell, its very Grapefruit forward, but really nice on a red hot day straight outta the Fridge.

The new Punk is double punk, it’s 8.8 percent
Not for me thanks

I love this one. Always thought Punk was too heavy on the floral hops but now at least that's balanced out by some hefty sweet alcohol

I love this one. Always thought Punk was too heavy on the floral hops but now at least that's balanced out by some hefty sweet alcohol
I happen to think it’s a marketing ploy and the new punk will taste almost like the “old” punk
The normal cans have went from 5.6 to 5.4 (and 5.2 in draught) and the hops shave almost halved
It’s a bit of a coincidence this “new” double punk has arrived at £3.50 for 440ml
Im a Brewdog shareholder but they are full of s**and have done what they built their business against, profit before taste.

Sorry buddy
I had one last night and it’s not even a patch on the old Punk imo!
£3.50 for 440ml and it tasted like they have swapped out the Nelson or something else for a load of Citra
That’s it I’m bringing it up at the next shareholder meeting, my £40 worth of shares will be sold and start the beginning of the end for these Carslberg crafties !!!!!

Back