Ale still cloudy after 3 months in bottle?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarlingStu

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm sampling my brown ale that was bottled late August.
Well it is hazy/cloudy, I mean you can see through it but it isn't crystal clear.
It tastes ok but it's not my best.
I think I've narrowed it down to either a high fermentation temp or high dry hop amounts. I struggled to keep temp below 26oC due to ridiculous summer heat, and I dry hopped with 100g first gold
Now the flavour isn't bad but it has a bit of an unusual aftertaste almost like a kind of lingering dry sweetness after the bitterness almost cidery?
Will this be safe to drink? It is palatable, but I don't want to have a few and go blind! (Although I won't have to look at the Mrs which is a plus)
Anyway, opinions and advice please.
Cheers

Sounds like some sort of protien haze. If it tastes ok drink it (even if it doesn't taste ok drink it. My HBing philosophy is, ' I made it I'm drinking it!') I'm not aware yeast (in beer anyway) produce the alcohol (ethonal?) that makes you go blind. I think if it did I think HBing beer would need a liscence like distilling spirits does

Well I've just finished the glass, so may try another just to be certain! Only problem is it usually takes me at least 4 or 5.
I've never had a brew that has remained cloudy for this long, but to be fair this kit was a simply brown ale so only cost me £15 including the hops and sugar, so can't expect miracles, the simply lager was passable but won't be brewing it again.
I Should stick to woodfordes kits I've never had any issues and always a lovely pint

One of the joys of achieving "critical mass" is that a problem brew can be set aside for that much longer to see if it improves ... :thumb:

... but in this case, I think I would just drink it. :whistle:

Will this be safe to drink? It is palatable, but I don't want to have a few and go blind! (Although I won't have to look at the Mrs which is a plus)
Anyway, opinions and advice please.
Cheers

I'm no expert, having done a little reading my understanding is this:

It's Methanol that has the potential to blind you.

When brewing beer, the majority of the alcohol produced is Ethanol, which is ok. Methanol and Ethanol do no exist happily together and any Methanol produced will be in tiny dilutions which is not harmful.

Methanol and Ethanol have different boiling temperatures, so distillers have to be very careful that they collect the correct alcohol. You haven't distilled anything, so no worries.

Grit your teeth and drink your brew! Haha.

It's amazing given another few weeks and this beer has transformed from cloudy and average to slightly hazy and moreish, I think this long aging maybe yeast related as the sediment is disturbed just by picking up the bottle and taking it inside to open!
Overall not bad for a £10 kit but will use Nottingham ale yeast next time I think

Sounds like some sort of protien haze. If it tastes ok drink it (even if it doesn't taste ok drink it. My HBing philosophy is, ' I made it I'm drinking it!') I'm not aware yeast (in beer anyway) produce the alcohol (ethonal?) that makes you go blind. I think if it did I think HBing beer would need a liscence like distilling spirits does

I think your philosophy might change if you were in my shoes unless your taste buds are damaged beyond repair. 😅

Latest posts

Back