Amber Malt - Crisp or Fawcett's?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MPLMPL

Reaction score
At some point in the near future I'll be putting in a large order of grains for my switch to BIAB. I have many beers planned, probably too many, but one in particular would be an English Strong Ale in the style of Fullers 1845. I'm not sure whether I will try to recreate 1845, but I do want to use some Amber malt as I love the taste of this beer (various online clone attempts suggest ~80% MO, 10~ Crystal, 10% Amber). I'll be buying from one of our sponsors, but his description of the two Amber malts is very different, i.e. not all Amber malts are created equal: Crisp is 50 EBC and dry and biscuity; whereas, Fawcett's is 90-110 EBC and dry mild coffee. So my question for those who are wise in the ways of Amber malt is: which one of these two is most suited to a beer like 1845? From the description I'm erring on the side of Crisp.

The clone recipes you have been looking at, where are they from, US? I would think the Crisp to be your best bet at that %. Saying that I have not had a lot of 1845

Rob

Some were from US discussion boards, some UK. If I remember correctly there was a more complicated recipe posted and someone commented that the head brewer of Fullers indicated somewhere or other (Jamil's show? For the love of hops book?) that it is essentially ~ 80% Simpsons MO, 10% crystal and 10% Amber, hopped with EKG. I'm not necessarily trying to recreate 1845, it's more that I think one of the tastes that makes it, owes a lot to the amber malt. As I plan to brew a strong ale, at some point, I'd like to get some of this taste profile in there. I'm not entirely sure how I would describe that taste, as I'm usually pretty poor at picking out flavours, other than 'that tastes really nice'. It's also a while since I've tasted one, since I all but stopped buying beers once I started brewing again earlier this year. I think the blurb on the back of the bottle flags up the amber malt to give it its distinctive taste. I reckon I'll go for the crisp - you'll no doubt be receiving my order in the next week or two. I've just got one final batch to make to use up my DME, before the 32L pan that Santa brought me and the net curtain are used in anger.

The "Can You Brew It" show for 1845 can be found here.

I seem to remember in the broadcast Keeling says it's important to use Simpson's Amber if you going to try to clone 1845. I have not found a supplier of Simpson's Amber amongst the HomeBrew suppliers so if you find one be sure to mention it. You'll see 1845 is mentioned in my signature a couple of times ;)

I've found the Crisp amber malt to impart a smoother flavour than the darker Fawcett's variety, the latter in my opinion tends to give pale / medium coloured brews a harsh tang unless the beer is matured for an extended period.

oz11 said:
The "Can You Brew It" show for 1845 can be found here.
Thanks for that, an interesting listen. He gives a surprisingly comprehensive description of how to brew 1845. I was moving away from the idea of trying to clone it, but I may well give it a go at some point this year, albeit without the temperature control.
Dr Mike said:
According to their website, Simpsons Amber is 45 to 60 EBC so the Crisps would probably be the better match.
Bram said:
I've found the Crisp amber malt to impart a smoother flavour
Cheers, I think Crisp is looking like the winner.

Latest posts

Back