American IPA suggestions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thodd

Reaction score
So I'm planning a full on Hop bomb of an American IPA.... no holds barred, in your face hops aroma and flavour. Light citrus'y, sharp and bitter is what I'm after.
Using lots of types of hops because...... well.... i want lots of types of hops as my last 2 brews have been single hop affairs.

I'm not a huge fan of the double IPA's and want to keep the ABV under 6%
Also keep the IBU's around the 60 mark.

5 gallon batch
4.5kg Maris Otter
500g Vienna
250g Carapils
100g Torrified Wheat

25g of Warrior @ 60mins
10g Cascade @ 5 mins
10g Simcoe @ 5mins
10g Sorachi Ace @ 5mins
10g Ahtanum @ 5mins
10g Nelson Sauvin @ 5mins
60g Amarillo Dry Hop for 5 days
60g Simcoe Dry Hop for 5 days

What do people think - am I on the right track?

Screenshot of Brewers Friend:

IPA Idea.JPG

If you want to let the hop flavours come thru I'd remove the vienna or at least reduce it quite a lot. All comes down to personal preference tho, I'm not really a fan of vienna and find it gives quite a string/distinct flavour which most hop bombs tend not to have.

If you want to let the hop flavours come thru I'd remove the vienna or at least reduce it quite a lot. All comes down to personal preference tho, I'm not really a fan of vienna and find it gives quite a string/distinct flavour which most hop bombs tend not to have.

Cheers Doc!
I'll be honest I've never used Vienna before and thought I'd add it in here to see what flavours emerge from it.
I do however want to play this Brew relatively safe - so I'll take your comments on board.
I'll just take the Vienna out and replace them with a bit more Maris Otter.

Give those Hop Flavours room to sing!

I would be tempted to half the Vienna but also reduce the Marris otter to 4kg and double the TW but all looks good to me

Latest posts

Back