Another one over to the dark side!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marengo

Reaction score
Evening all and Merry Christmas!

After brewing with kits since March I have succumbed to the siren call of the dark side. I have purchased a boiler, mash tun (cooler) and chiller (Happy Christmas to me....... :party: ) and just waiting on my FV to finish doing its thing on the current kit beer before kicking off on the great grain adventure. (note to self must get more FVs....).

Anyway the plan is to commence with AG1, a best bitter, on Jan. 1 (assuming no major hangover!). there maybe questions ahead! In the meantime I have been reading avidly and the thing I notice most is that different authors espouse slightly different methodologies and principles, which I guess just goes to show that it must be relatively difficult to screw up a brew (assuming the basics are correct)!

Reading Wheeler's book on home brewing I am trying to get my head around the maturation periods, especially for bottling. Currently with kits, following previous words of wisdom, (which have served exceedingly well, thanks fellas :thumb: ) I primary ferment for 2 weeks, rack to a secondary vessel with a syrup made up of boiled water and a malt extract suitable to the brew for priming and immediately then transfer to keg or bottles. Then warm condition for 2 weeks before storing cold for 6 ish ;) . Wheeler recommends dropping after 48 hours during primary fermentation. I'm curious as to whether this is standard practice among the members? Secondly, if bottling, he also recommends to keg and wait for the beer to drop bright before bottling, again is this standard practice, what do you chaps recommend?

I would also be interested in hearing what you experienced AG chaps do for fermentation and maturation periods for AG as I want to get the best out of my beers. I tend to bottle more than keg but I do both.

Your collective wisdom is much appreciated.

Thanks
John

Hi John....you seem to have it all in hand...we all have a slight different outlook on our brews...I go with 2 weeks in the FV...when ready, prime, 2 weeks condition, and into a cornie.

Hi... I bottle.
10 days in primary rack to secondary for 4days ( ish) prime bottles with sugar and bottle.

There are many ways to skin a cat, you have lots of choice. Just remember within reason give the brew plenty of time in fermenters to work out and the yeasts to clean up.
Your bottles will then need 2 weeks in warmth and a week cool before drinking...

Thanks, can't wait for first AG. Scheduled for next Tuesday, unless I can pick up another FV or 2 tomorrow in Inverness. Most of my purchasing is online as the nearest HBS is Inverness, though their homebrew stuff is only a side line. Unless anyone is aware of any other places (not including Tesco!) in the Highlands other than 'Farm and Household Supplies' in Inverness.

cheers
John

Cheers Colin,

Slight delay to programme; looking like Saturday 12th for the inaugural. Real life is such a pain sometimes ! Really looking forward to getting stuck into my first 'proper' brew.

John

Back