Another Strike.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I wonder who it'll be next?

BBC News -

Royal Mail workers to hold 19 days of strike action
Royal Mail workers are to hold 19 days of strike action over terms and conditions during the peak postal build-up to Christmas.
The Communication Workers Union (CWU) said the strikes will cover Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
It said its "significant announcement" reflects the "level of anger" workers "feel at the way Royal Mail Group has treated them".
Royal Mail Group was approached for comment.

FFS Where did I say they are wrong for striking I was making a point that we have never had so many workers in so many different businesses going on strike in the same year.

Last edited:
I just wonder why people join organisations that they know don’t pay what they want.

Like the postal, NHS, bin men, train workers wages were great last year or the year before when they signed up!

Just makes life difficult for everyone else.

My mate is a bin man they earn £25,000 a year which isn't a bad wage here they have a very good pension, 28 holidays plus bank Holidays and job and finish means they often work less than 7 hours a day but get full pay.

Last edited:
The thing about strikes are, the wage increase which is won will be passed on to Joe Public anyway. They are the ones footing the bill no matter what the industry.

I just wonder why a person would choose train for three or four years to be a nurse or something, then moan about the wages.

I always wanted to be a driving instructor, but I can’t see how they make money out of it.

The thing about strikes are, the wage increase which is won will be passed on to Joe Public anyway. They are the ones footing the bill no matter what the industry.
That’s right, I also don’t see how they recoup their wage losses due to the time off work. Unless they paid for it I suppose.

I an not sure that many moan about wages it's usually the long hours and lack of staff that make the news, tbh nurses wages are a joke for what they do.

I do think they need better pay, but so do soldiers, that gets a bit hairy too, but my point was, it’s a choice made.

I lived through the various strikes of the 70s,
Caused massive unrest.

NO political view should be allowed to reign supreme without proper checks and balances.

Nazi Germany is a good example of how politicians can manipulate a people.!!!
Look how all that ended.!!

I do think they need better pay, but so do soldiers, that gets a bit hairy too, but my point was, it’s a choice made.
When you join the armed forces you know there is a chance you may have to fight for the country and put your life at risk, nurses are there to nurse but ended up at the sharp end risking their lives when covid hit I have a feeling nurses pay will lag behind that of the armed forces.

All my working life i never joined a union, well once it was a closed shop ( very communist) in my book i donated my subs to charity if it ever got there, i have never been on strike i don't see the point of being a loser, if you don't like the wage jog on and find a better job always worked for me, my last job of 30 years they paid above union rates to keep them out

if you don't like the wage jog on and find a better job always worked for me, my last job of 30 years they paid above union rates to keep them out

Not all strikes are about pay.

I have only been on strike once the company decided it would be a good idea to end the fixed fortnight summer holiday and let members decide when to take it instead, at first it looked like a good idea but they wanted the factory open 24/7 so if you wanted to go on holiday in the school summer break you were not guaranteed you would get the fortnight off, we had a ballot and went on strike but withing a couple of days the company came back with a much better offer (they originally said they wouldn't discuss it further) and it was accepted.

Last edited:
Im not sure this is relevant, Chippy, but Im taking the Mrs out to Sunday lunch at the w/e and I know that the "Gastro Pub" with "Real Ale" will stick a service charge on the bill. It really browns me off. Why dont they just charge an appropriate amount for the food and pay the staff a decent wage.

Why dont they just charge an appropriate amount for the food and pay the staff a decent wage.
Why not email them and ask if they realised it wound customers up and they may be losing them, they might just change their ways.

TBH i have never seen that it certainly doesn't happen round here if it did i would go somewhere else.

Why not email them and ask if they realised it wound customers up and they may be losing them, they might just change their ways.

TBH i have never seen that it certainly doesn't happen round here if it did i would go somewhere else.
Ive met the owner and hes a very rich, fat, self centred prat, who can do no wrong!

Latest posts

Back