Another Strike.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FFS Where did I say they are wrong for striking I was making a point that we have never had so many workers in so many different businesses going on strike in the same year.
I can't strike as I don't work, but I can understand when costs rise far above a cost of living payrise you can only make a cost saving once e.g. cancel netflix etc. pretty much most sectors are being hit ATM.

I can't strike as I don't work, but I can understand when costs rise far above a cost of living payrise you can only make a cost saving once e.g. cancel netflix etc. pretty much most sectors are being hit ATM.
Glad to see you are still supporting ;)

When you join the armed forces you know there is a chance you may have to fight for the country and put your life at risk, nurses are there to nurse but ended up at the sharp end risking their lives when covid hit I have a feeling nurses pay will lag behind that of the armed forces.
I can sort of see your point, but I do think there are clear choices. In the case of nurses, they joined before they knew about covid, and besides, it’s not the first time nurses have been in strike.

I don’t believe strategic sectors should have the right to withdraw their labour. Just agree to a contract or not, but think about it first.

I’ll shut up now
☺️

The nurses get well paid here if they put the hours in, a traffic controller who is on Tik Tok says she gets $2700 for a 6 day week which isn't bad for spinning a stop/go lollipop.
(about 1,600 GBP)

FFS Where did I say they are wrong for striking I was making a point that we have never had so many workers in so many different businesses going on strike in the same year.
You didn't, and it's a point well made.
People don't choose lightly to go on strike. They're usually the least likely to be able to afford to lose several days' or several weeks' pay and they're making a real sacrifice out of desperation. Those who complain that they're inconvenienced or that essential staff shouldn't have the right to strike have liar contact with reality. Nurses, for example, don't go into nursing in order to get together and eff up system. They're being exploited and have been for years. Boris' hand clapping drama was the biggest show of contempt I've ever witnessed.

I can sort of see your point, but I do think there are clear choices. In the case of nurses, they joined before they knew about covid, and besides, it’s not the first time nurses have been in strike.

I don’t believe strategic sectors should have the right to withdraw their labour. Just agree to a contract or not, but think about it first.

I’ll shut up now
☺️
So someone one joins a strategic sector in 2022 and is paid £10 ph they can't complain in 2030 that the pay is only £10 ph?

Everybody has the right to withdraw their labour. Either temporarily or definitively by leaving. Even conscription at a time of war is morally wrong. Those who don't have that right are called "slaves". You thinking we shouldn't have abolished slavery then?
Nurses are employees like everybody else.

Only brewers should be forced to work come what may.

So someone one joins a strategic sector in 2022 and is paid £10 ph they can't complain in 2030 that the pay is only £10 ph?
Exactly, don't forget for many years they got a zero pay rise as they were forced into a pay freeze basically going backwards as prices of essentials rose year on year.

Nurses should be well paid.Nowadays they have to pass exams,Which at one time in the past would have qualified them as doctors with the commensurate salary.

Done on the cheap as per usual !!!!

Nurses should be well paid.Nowadays they have to pass exams,Which at one time in the past would have qualified them as doctors with the commensurate salary.

Done on the cheap as per usual !!!!
I don't understand why they can't be better paid. In fact, I'm pretty sure that we have an extra £350m per week in the budget now that we're not paying into the EU. And I do recall the promise that it should be spent on the NHS.

Surely it's just as simple as following through on this promise?!?

Everybody has the right to withdraw their labour. Either temporarily or definitively by leaving. Even conscription at a time of war is morally wrong. Those who don't have that right are called "slaves". You thinking we shouldn't have abolished slavery then?
Nurses are employees like everybody else.

Only brewers should be forced to work come what may.
Striking is a privileged withdrawal of labour as ones post is guaranteed at the end of the strike. If a job was to be truly differentiated from slave labour then the person offering the job should have the right to replace the striker with another person.

Should everyone in the power or energy industry have the right to strike or those in water supply of food industry? Would be arguing about anything if we had no clean water, no food or heating?

Should everyone in the power or energy industry have the right to strike or those in water supply of food industry? Would be arguing about anything if we had no clean water, no food or heating?
You haven't got clean water. Many have nothing to eat and/or can't afford to heat their homes and there isn't a strike on those sectors. So what's your point?

I think this could go around and around ad infinitum. I think it’s interesting that generally people think of the government of the day as some sort of enemy than must pay for everything.

Politicians are just too scared to say to ask the people to make choices.

The money has to come from somewhere. The choices are simply pay more tax, which would be reasonable given that people that pay tax/NI in the UK get a pretty good deal when it comes to medical and benefits, or re visit how much is given away each year.

I think it’s inevitable that something has to give, people simply need to face up to it and make some choices. Unfortunately, politicians are in it for the money, so they won’t want to rock the boat.

All that is going to happen is that two or more sides will get further and further apart, causing more misery.

Latest posts

Back