Another stuck fermentation question!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrapped in bacon

Reaction score
I know - this has been covered but I'm perplexed:
Two 25 litre brews started a week apart:
1) OG 1.055 - fermented furiously for 24 hours then stopped at 1.038 - using Mangrove Jacks M15
One week later same gravity

2) OG 1.041 - usual hive of activity and foam but no bubbling seems to have stopped at 1.022 - using S-04
Pitched on Saturday

Both yeasts were hydrated prior to pitching
Temperature - controlled and steady as per usual
Everything cleaned and sanitised as normal
Raised the temperature by a degree and gave brew 1) a gentle stir to no avail.

The only common denominator (apart from me!) is the shop I bought the grain and yeast from - never used them before. Can you buy 'damaged' dry yeast that's still in date?

I've just boiled some DME and have two more yeast starters (yeast from different source) started 90 minutes ago.

I can't understand what's happened - same procedures as always but.....
Can anyone shed any light on this? More frustrating than anything - assuming I get them going again!

Many of my brews product nothing through the blowoff within the first 12 - 24 hours.
When they start, they bubble for 24 to 48 hours max, then nothing whatsoever.
Apart from the very first maybe 3 brews (temperature issues and panic) i made i just forget about the FV for at least 2 weeks now.
Fv temperature is between 18 and 22 degrees, even at night, as i have the heating stat set to 18.5 degrees and it works well.
No opening, no checking, no worrying. I just leave them. No blowing, nothing and i am 99.99% certain the FV's are sealed and airtight.
Lo and behold, after the 2 weeks everything is just fine, taking 2 or 3 SG readings over 2 or 3 days.
The day before i bottle, i add finings to the FV which work a treat.
I usually use the yeast provided or if not, Mangrove Jack's Liberty Bell Yeast works well for me.
I have thought to myself, the brew has stalled, it has failed but none have...
Never had an issue and i am about to start my 14th brew now.

I have even bottled brews without taking SG readings, somehow i know it is ready. No overcarbed bottles, no bombs, no gushers.
I keep upto 4 crates of bottles in the airing cupboard for 2 to 3 weeks, at average 25+ degrees C, then put them in the cold garage for 2 to 3 weeks.

Try more yeast and see what happens, or add some yeast nutrient sometimes may help.

Hi Mavroz,

Thank you for the response - however:

Many of my brews product nothing through the blowoff within the first 12 - 24 hours.
I agree completely
When they start, they bubble for 24 to 48 hours max, then nothing whatsoever.
I've never experienced that
Apart from the very first maybe 3 brews (temperature issues and panic) i made i just forget about the FV for at least 2 weeks now.
Fv temperature is between 18 and 22 degrees, even at night, as i have the heating stat set to 18.5 degrees and it works well.
No opening, no checking, no worrying. I just leave them. No blowing, nothing and i am 99.99% certain the FV's are sealed and airtight.
Lo and behold, after the 2 weeks everything is just fine, taking 2 or 3 SG readings over 2 or 3 days.
That's odd, since the action of yeast creates CO2
The day before i bottle, i add finings to the FV which work a treat.
I opt for gravity rather than finings
I usually use the yeast provided or if not, Mangrove Jack's Liberty Bell Yeast works well for me.
Provided? I go for personal choice depending on my brew
I have thought to myself, the brew has stalled, it has failed but none have...
Never had an issue and i am about to start my 14th brew now.
I'm well over 14 and I don't think it's paranoia to have an unmoving SG of 1.038, 10 days after pitching, and think something is wrong - I've made 2% sweet something at the moment.

I have even bottled brews without taking SG readings, somehow i know it is ready. No overcarbed bottles, no bombs, no gushers.
You're lucky or have some magical gift there!!
I keep upto 4 crates of bottles in the airing cupboard for 2 to 3 weeks, at average 25+ degrees C, then put them in the cold garage for 2 to 3 weeks.
Quite warm?

Try more yeast and see what happens, or add some yeast nutrient sometimes may help.
That was my suggestion - I was actually looking for some reasoning behind my problem - given that I'd eliminated temperature, sanitation, OG, aeration, re-hydration - and then waited 10 days for brew 1

My first thought is temperature - what did you mash at, maybe you mashed too hi/low resulting in unfermentable sugars?

I can't see what else it can be if your house temps are reasonable, S-04 is my go-to yeast, it's usually very reliable in getting down to 1010. Mangrove Jacks yeasts less-so, I've found them a bit iffy.

Edit - just re-read your first post "pitched on Saturday" i. e 5 days ago. Give it time, S-04 is a slow burner, it's still ballooning the lid of my FV 11 days after pitching, usually takes a good 14 days to finish. Reckon your MJ yeast is a dud but the S-04 is still going.

Hi Darralim,

Thank you for the feedback
Mash was at 66C - quite happy with the start and end temps being very close to that.
A good thought though

I concur with your opinion on S-04 - maybe I'm automatically thinking it's gone the same way as the Mangrove Jacks?!

I think I'll go with your suggestion - pitch my new Mangrove J's yeast this evening and pop the S-04 one in the fridge in the hope that it gets going on it's own

Back