Stuck Fermentation US-05

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S.R.S

Reaction score
Hi All, this is the 1st time it has happened but pitched yeast in BIAB neck oil clone 7th October in keg which took at least 24 hours to take off. OG was 1.044. Judging by the activity from blow off tube , fermentation didn't seem that aggressive and slowed down after 3 days.
Tuesday 11th October no bubbling from blow off tube, SG 1.022, took another reading today (13th October) and SG. still 1.022 . Temperature has been steady 20c although started at 19c.
Could fermentation have stalled? and, if so, any suggestions to get it going? I have already increased temp. to 21c but should I pitch more yeast, and if so, how much?
Would have been brewing for 6 days from pitching.
Any advice appreciated.
Many thanks

I'd just leave well alone - you want likely 2 weeks to be confident the yeast has finished doing its thing (at those temps) - if anything I'd lower your temp to 18c and don't rush it.

I'd just leave well alone - you want likely 2 weeks to be confident the yeast has finished doing its thing (at those temps) - if anything I'd lower your temp to 18c and don't rush it.
Thanks for the tip. I actually realised I took a false sg reading yesterday as the trial jar was full of yeast slurry. I left it alone to settle and the hydrometer read 1.016 so looking good.
The only thing I am a little surprised at is the OG as per the recipe should have been 1.039 but actually read 1.044 so not sure why the difference.
Thanks

Your set up might have given you a greater efficiency, or maybe the first reading wasn't taken at exactly 20c? Regardless, I bet you'll have a good beer in the end

Thanks for the tip. I actually realised I took a false sg reading yesterday as the trial jar was full of yeast slurry. I left it alone to settle and the hydrometer read 1.016 so looking good.
The only thing I am a little surprised at is the OG as per the recipe should have been 1.039 but actually read 1.044 so not sure why the difference.
Thanks
Get a clear sample, degas and take a reading you will probably find the FG to be lower.

Latest posts

Back