Another Turkey Fryer question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBigLebowski

Reaction score
I found a turkey fryer on ebay where the import charges are included (GPP program?) here: item 181223752018

It's a 32L and comes with burner, stand and regulator for a total of £80. I plan on doing 5 gallon brws (I currently do extract and ginger beer) outside as I have no outbuildings and a tiny (full) shed, hence no electricity supply. We have a breeze block platform which used to hold an oil tank which will be perfect for standing on. Having read previous threads, does 45K BTU sound ok for this kind of brew length?

Edit: it won't let me hyperlink as a new user, apologies!

yeah looks da business, and sure is a classy way to brew- will prob need some heavy duty insulation on a pot bigger than the 34l though- just sensible anyway- espically if its winter and windy- something i would think about if i were at it

shame about not being allowed inside - as you could make a dual kettle element boiler from a big foodsafe tub- and wouldnt have to worry about gas supplys- i did and im not genius- i also get shelter from the scottish weather inside :lol:

Thanks for the replies guys, going to try and get one on this side of the pond, (Does anyone in Britain fry whole turkeys??) as HMRC will add on 20% before Parcelforce deliver. Still a good option though, a 50L Marmite delivered will be £45. It's the shielded burner that attracts me to this though...

Looks like a very good deal, especially when compared to the price of a 5USG stock pot sold by the same seller..

looking forward to the pics and description of the brewday..

as for frying a turkey.. if you want to give it ago ill bring some bread.

That is the same model I used for years back in the States...some tips: The pot is aluminium so it may cause some unwanted metallic flavours. Also there is a safety mechanism in the stand itself that won't allow the gas to flow unless there is a pot on the button...unfortunately if you have a larger diameter pot it does not fit, so you have to bypass the mechanism by disconnecting the wires and wiring them together to make the connection...or you can replace the whole propane regulator with a different one...also I believe that you will have to do that anyway because the connection to the propane tank is not compatible to UK tanks. But I had no other issues with it and it had plenty of power to get 5 gal. to a rolling boil...I can't really tell you how long it took as I lived at a high altitude...

Oh and fried turkey is amazing....also check out youtube and you can see a bunch of idiots nearly burning their houses down doing it!

Thanks for the feedback guys!

CRoark - Does it have a timed dead man switch too? I read about some other models where you have to push a button every 15 mins. I think I'll have to change the bottle end connector anyway, but do you think the whole regulator will have to go?

I think it's hinging on the import duty. I reckon for £90 I'll have a 32L pot, thermometer, a fitted stand, a 13kw propane burner that is most importantly shielded. As I live in Northern Ireland I can't see me getting as good a deal when extra postage is taken into account.

Oh and fried turkey is amazing....also check out youtube and you can see a bunch of idiots nearly burning their houses down doing it!
I got lost on a Google adventure watching fire brigade demos and how to's! Looks like it keeps it nice and moist! A Guardian journo did a piece in his back garden. 15lb in 45 mins :shock:

Good news is The Boss has given permission to go ahead as I saved money from going off the dirty smokes 2 years ago and we have money left over after fitting a new NG heating system

Bear in mind that imports from outside the EU (over £15) are liable for 20% VAT which may be charged on the full amount including postage plus a handling fee from the carrier (Royal mail, DHL etc) for collecting the VAT on behalf of HMRC, which is usually £8-£10.

Over recent years customs have become a lot hotter on this and the threshold has been reduced but its basically a lottery, not everything gets stopped and charged but it does seem as though more stuff from the USA gets caught for charges than from China and Hong Kong etc. Presumably customs regard stuff from the far east as more likely to be cheap.

Of course if it gets through without being taxed then its a bonus and you are lucky but if the advertised price is £80 delivered you should factor in for it being more like £106, just in case.

No mine didn't have a timed switch but you did have to hold down the starting switch until the thermocouple got hot enough (usually only 5-10 seconds)....I would think you would be fine just replacing the bottle end valve connector.

Bit the bullet and ordered it :D. £93 all in and as Jeltz said, I might get hit for an extra £20. Balanced up against £45 for a burner and £45 for a 50Lt marmite, it stacks up as a good deal. Think I'll try a Biab first before convincing Mrs Lebowski that a mashtun would save money in the long run lol

It arrived in just over a week. Pretty impressive! Not sure how the whole EBay import program works, but I guess "all in" meant all in...or so my US friend who got me the lovely present says ;)

So here is the beast:
vsf2x2.jpg

wsnwwi.jpg

More to follow once I get a connector sorted out. Then it's BIAB time!

Latest posts

Back