Any help identifying an issue?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RazioFox

Reaction score
Hello all

I'm having a fermentation issue with a batch i have brewed and would appreciate any thought or advice as i'm completely stumped!

I've recently brewed a variation of the Dark Star Liquorice Stout recipe from the book Extreme Brewing. I have been very carful with sanitation, making sure the yeast is pitched at the right temperature, keeping the carboy at the right temperature, aerating the wort etc but fermentation hasn't really kicked off. I know airlock activity is not a sure fire sign of fermentation but this batch has been unlike any i have done before. Shortly after i sealed the carboy the airlock was bubblng happily but stopped by the time i got up the next morning. Then no activity for 72 hours except a very thin (practically non existent) layer of what i thought was krausen. I took a hydrometer reading at this point and the gravity had not changed from 1.082. I had no more yeast to pitch so i shook the fermenter which kick started airlock activity and some more krausen formed over the next 24 hours (about 2 inches). There has now been no activity for 48 hours. Shaking the carboy starts the airlock but it now only bubbles for a few minutes.

If anyone could help shed light on where i have gone wrong and if this batch can be saved i would be very grateful. Could this issue be down to the yeast i pitched? This is the 2nd time i have brewed this recipe and last time i had no issues. Could an issue like this be caused by not rinsing the sanitiser from the carboy sufficiently (clutching at straws i think as i was very careful)? If i order another batch of yeast now, will pitching it almost 10 after brew day (once it arrives in post) have a negative effect on the brew?

Many thanks in advance for any assistance..

hi and welcome reading your post just a couple of questions what yeast did you use ? was it in date ? what sanitiser did you use ? id be inclined to pitch another yeast

You say your OG was 1.082.
Did you pitch dry yeast or a yeast starter? At that OG it may be that the yeast is being overpowered before it can get going. One way round this is to pitch another yeast of the same type as the last but make sure it is well started. You could take some of the existing wart and dilute it down to something around 1.020 - 1.040 in a 1 gal DJ before you introduce the yeast, this will give the new yeast a good start, hopefully you will quickly see a vigorous fermentation in the DJ which will then transfer to the rest of the wart.

Best of luck with your investigations.

LeithR said:
Did you pitch dry yeast or a yeast starter?
And if it was dry did you rehydrate it first? Have you taken a subsequent reading to see if its moved at all?

probably duff yeast, dont know why that would be but best way is to throw some more in- starters can be made quite quickly with some basic ingredients (some tescos and healthshops sell malt extract or malt beverages) and some homebrew beer dregs (make good wee yeast timecapsules/ banks)

Thank you all for your responses. The yeast i used was Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale yeast. I did not make a starter. I cooled the wort to 21degress and it has been sitting at approx 24 degrees since. The sanitiser i used was VWP. I have always pitched the yeast directly into the fermenter but i guess i should start preparing a starter. I have't got the full recipe with me but will post it up when i'm home, together with a current gravity reading.

One thing i have no idea of, is if i order some more yeast (which will arrive by say Tuesday), is it likely that pitching this yeast will have no effect as it is 10 days since brew day? Have i missed the window of getting the best from this batch?

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back