Any mechanics or auto electricians presnt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vossy1

Landlord.
Reaction score
My father in law has a Nissan Note, 09, 1.4 petrol and the rear wiper has stopped working.
Had a good look around net but confusing issues, I need to know where the fuse is and where the relay is before looking at wiring.
The owners manual shows no fuse and says consult a mechanic before looking in the IPDM box.
Does anyone know if the fuse is in the IPDM box and if so what number?

wiring on these models are us''@$£
the rubber boot between the rear and door bottom has problems too with wires breaking
prior to investigating this disconnect
fuses 5 and 3 in the drivers side junction box and 61 and 62 in the IPDM box near the nearside headlamp

Thanks n, I've found most of that info, the rubber wiring boot is at the top of the tail gate and enters the body at the top also. All the fuses have been tested apart from the IPDM. The problem I have is that schematics for the IPDM show 61 and 62 as a completely different circuit, not the rear wipers, hence wanting clarification on fuse/relay numbers.

I've got part of the answer I need re fuses but have a query. Is there a way to test for electrical wires that are snapped internally, other than at there terminals, ie by using a meter on the sheath either side of a suspected breakage site :hmm:

Vossy1 said:
I've got part of the answer I need re fuses but have a query. Is there a way to test for electrical wires that are snapped internally, other than at there terminals, ie by using a meter on the sheath either side of a suspected breakage site :hmm:

Yes and No :)

You can spear the insulation with sharpened probes and continuity test with a meter set to resistance and it might show you if one is broken. The broken wire may have voltage across the break and both ends may connect through the rest of the car to still show continuity and not identify the break.

If there is enough wire to get hold of you can usually feel or see necking of the insulation at an internal break. It will also often stretch if pulled where there is a break as there is only the insulation joining it so maybe give everything a gentle tug as a first step.

Thanks R :thumb: I've been made aware of this little item which is capable of detecting current through the insulation..worse case the FIL will have to buy one :grin:

Latest posts

Back