Any Microbreweries tours in the Northamptonshire area ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pumpy

Reaction score
I am coming to England in September from Australia and wanted some advise on microbreweries that do tours in the Northamptonshire area

can anyone advise

pumpy

I don't know about "breweries that do tours" but I'm sure most breweries would show you around if you told them where you were coming from and asked nicely.

That has certainly been my own experience with Scotch whisky distilleries which aren't usually open to the general public.

However, you asked about Northampton, so you could try Frog Island.

Not quite in Northamptonshire (but not far away by aussie standards of distance, it's like an hour away from Northampton) is the Hook Norton brewery. It's a bit bigger than a micro but interesting as parts of it are still driven by a steam engine, thought to be the only one left in Britain still being used daily for its original purpose.

Ano i went there last time it was awesome loved the steam engine

every home brewer should go there

HOOK20nORTON20BREWERYPIC.jpg

Pumpy

yes it was good value Ano $8.50 for the tour and that included a free engraved glass and a pint of all the beers on their bar

Pumpy

Hook20Norton20Bar202.jpg

If your are Steam Engine Freak you will love their steam engine the main drive belt is supposed to be the original drive belt installed 200 years ago :clap:

Steam20Engine.jpg

Pumpy

pumpy said:
I am coming to England in September from Australia and wanted some advise on microbreweries that do tours in the Northamptonshire area

can anyone advise

pumpy

http://www.greatoakleybrewery.co.uk

not sure if they do tours but the beer is very special and the guy that runs it is a really nice chap. Probably worth dropping him a line.

Agreed, Great Oakley beer is excellent. You could also try the Hoggley's brewery.

Also (although not Northampton, but not a massive distance (i drive to work near there every day from Northampton, just over 40 miles) I believe Wytchcraft brewery in Witney (Oxfordshire) do tours - not a massive distance from Hook Norton brewery i don't think).

Hey pumpy,
I live in Witney, so if you did decide to visit, let me know, I would like to do the tour myself and meet up with a fellow home brewer. http://www.wychwood.co.uk/tours.htm
They have now (I think) been brought out by Brakspear (another Oxfordshire brewery who do gr8 beers). I guess everything is still runing the same though.
Whatever you decide to do, have a great visit.
P.S Witney to Hook Norton 26 miles 40-45 minutes

Ash - any time you're in the area and wanted to meet up for a pint and a chat would be good to meet you too.

:cheers: Nic

Nic_P said:
They have now (I think) been brought out by Brakspear (another Oxfordshire brewery who do gr8 beers). I guess everything is still runing the same though.

They were both owned by Refresh UK, but are both now owned by Marstons.

jamesb said:
Nic_P said:

They were both owned by Refresh UK, but are both now owned by Marstons.

Cheers JamesB :thumb:

I remember it 20 something odd years ago when it was still The Glenny Brewery and still call it that ;)

Nic_P said:
Hey pumpy,
I live in Witney, so if you did decide to visit, let me know, I would like to do the tour myself and meet up with a fellow home brewer. http://www.wychwood.co.uk/tours.htm
Whatever you decide to do, have a great visit.
P.S Witney to Hook Norton 26 miles 40-45 minutes

Ash - any time you're in the area and wanted to meet up for a pint and a chat would be good to meet you too.

Cheers Nic I will be in the UK for One week from Friday 4th September to Friday I1th September will catch up with you I am staying at my Sis's in Kenilworth nr Coventry

Pumpy

Cheers Nic I will be in the UK for One week from Friday 4th September to Friday I1th September will catch up with you I am staying at my Sis's in Kenilworth nr Coventry

Hey pumpy, there are a few THBF in that neck of the woods. Might be worth trying a meet up if you're around :thumb:

I should be foating about somewhere Pumpy. I'll PM you my mobile number. I'll check with Wychwood, I've got a feeling they only do tours on the weekend, so not sure how that would fit in with your schedule.
Good point Vossy, Is anybody else local, that may be free around that time for a tour and a few ales??

Sunday is good for me Pumpy.
At present they have 6 spaces left on the 2pm and 12 spaces left on the 2.30pm tour.
I am happy to book places. If anybody else would like to go please let me know asap.
P.S. The Wychwood brewery is off of Corn street 300metres 13 pubs :drunk: Bring a Des'

Nic_P said:
Sunday is good for me Pumpy.
At present they have 6 spaces left on the 2pm and 12 spaces left on the 2.30pm tour.
I am happy to book places. If anybody else would like to go please let me know asap.
P.S. The Wychwood brewery is off of Corn street 300metres 13 pubs :drunk: Bring a Des'

I have booked on the 2pm Sunday tour Yay!

Pumpy :)

Latest posts

Back