Any reason I couldn't use a hose connector on a mash tun?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanshelton

Landlord.
Reaction score
As the title, like this
qutasyme.jpg
then connect silicone tube to it? I don't like to be normal lol

Not food safe. Only meant for cold water. That's not a hose barb. I'm sure there must be a better way to do it. Or at least use brass hose connectors.

Well tbh I'll probably end up using a hose barb anyway but apart from mail order I cant seem to find them. Surprised the likes of screw fix etc don't do them.

As for it only being meant for cold water, I doubt it would melt it.

A lot of people use the brass equivalent. The only real issue is that they are quite hard to get apart when hot.

I've just had a cold water tap fitted in my garage and was thinking of a small length of hose pipe, with hozelock connectors, to fill my HLT. The fact it's going to be boiled further down the line I could not see any problem.

I don't think boiling will destroy the plasticisers or chemicals. I suspect the risk is low but garden hose is not food grade. I've just got a JG tap connector to run 3/8" tubing to my boiler.

dennisking said:
I've just had a cold water tap fitted in my garage and was thinking of a small length of hose pipe, with hozelock connectors, to fill my HLT. The fact it's going to be boiled further down the line I could not see any problem.

I do that Dennis with no problems that I know of. Though my third ear is getting a bit annoying :rofl: :rofl:

graysalchemy said:
dennisking said:

I do that Dennis with no problems that I know of. Though my third ear is getting a bit annoying :rofl: :rofl:

Sounds OK I'm going a bit deaf.

Back