Any suggestions?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a few ingredients to use up, i have plenty of stout already made so any suggestions for other beers welcome. I need to buy some base malt here is what I have in stock:-
410g torrified wheat
305g crystal 150 ebc
150g chocolate
170g munich
500g roasted barley
500g flaked barley
40g ekg
65g bobek
30g fuggles
50g citra
65g challenger
55g amarillo
If I need to get additional ingredients that's not a problem. TIA for your help.

You don’t have much in the way of base malt there, assuming you’ll be buying some pale and some yeast regardless. The obvious ones I can see are either a bitter (pale malt, Crystal, torrified wheat, EKG/fuggles/challenger) or an APA (pale malt, Munich, maybe a touch crystal, citra, Amarillo).

I will be buying pale malt. For some reason I have never brewed a standard bitter or an APA. I will check out some recipes oor cc an someone point me in the right direction? Great suggestions miickdundee

Have you got any books with recipes, like Greg Hughes, for example? You've got enough for a couple of 20-25 L batches traditional English ales there if you order in about 8-10 Kg of pale malt. Another 100g each of Fuggles and Goldings wouldn't go amiss.
A typical 20 litres of Best Bitter at about 5% abv might look something like this:
4Kg Pale Ale Malt
150 g Crystal Malt
150 g Flaked Barley
Perhaps a tad of chocolate for colour and a bit more flavour, say 50g max.
Challenger and fuggle or one or the other to about 40 ibu
15 g EKGs last 10 minutes
15g EKGs at flameout

MJ M15 or US-05 (but not the belgian yeast)

There. That's off the top of my head, but should point you in the right direction.
If you got enough stuff for three batches, you could apportion out the Munich as a substitute for some of the Pale Ale or use some torrified wheat for head retenion. etc, etc. But that's about trying to use up your stuff.

Last edited:
Thanks for that guys I have looked through some books and I think I will try the Irish Red ale from Greg hughes. Would replacing some of the fuggles with EKG as buttering hop make a huge difference?

Latest posts

Back