Cold ipa?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Libigage

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm having trouble with my fermenting fridge, I can only get the temp up to 16.5°C. I need to do a brew so I was thinking about a cold ipa. Problem is I don't have any Pilsner Malt. I do have
vienna malt,
golden promise,
low colour maris otter
Flaked wheat
Naked oats golden
Munich malt
Carapils
Carahell and dextrin malt.
I have 1 pkt of novalager
2 pkts S-23
Which would solve the temp problem. I also have verdant ipa yeast and m12 but I don't want to waste them if they can't handle the low temperature.
I have plenty of hops which include
Vic secret 200g
Strata 100g
Jester 100g
Galaxy 100g
Mosaic 100g
Nectaron 170g
Amarillo 200g
Sabro 100g
I use a brewzilla 35 3.1.1 and can pressure Ferment if needed.
Any advice please

I wouldn't use vienna to make a cold IPA, especially if you haven't got any rice or maize. This stye calls for up to 40% adjuncts, although I limit mine to 20%.
I'd go with the Low Colour MO at 80% and 5-10% of flaked wheat with 10-15% ordinary table sugar. It's all about pushing the malt profile into the background and MOLO is a bit richer than most pilsner malts.
Either of those lager yeasts will do. I'd go for Novalager, I think.

Last edited:
Use whatever grainbill you like and ferment with whatever yeast fits the temperature you have.
I generally brew British style ales year round and the only temperature control I have is whatever my cellar is. I've brewed some delicious stout with lager yeast.

Use whatever grainbill you like and ferment with whatever yeast fits the temperature you have.
I generally brew British style ales year round and the only temperature control I have is whatever my cellar is. I've brewed some delicious stout with lager yeast.
That's what I like to hear, I went with this as I was worried about temperature which is dropping rapidly here in the south east of England this week and i cant trust my fridge at the moment. To be honest the problem is more my shed as its old and draughty. I managed to get the fridge up to 21.5 by adding a heat pad but have settled for 20 for fermentation. All I know is I'll get beer but I don't know what to call it. By the way i hit my numbers spot on. Cheers

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231127_161038_Brewfather.jpg
    Screenshot_20231127_161038_Brewfather.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 0
21.5 is potentially a bit too warm. I made a very nice California Common in the back bedroom which was a constant 16c at the time. Fermentation was over in 4 days. The brewfreezer (old broken chest freezer) which has my NZ PA fermenting away is at 19.

21.5 is potentially a bit too warm. I made a very nice California Common in the back bedroom which was a constant 16c at the time. Fermentation was over in 4 days. The brewfreezer (old broken chest freezer) which has my NZ PA fermenting away is at 19.
I'm going to do it at 20 which is the top of novalager range, should I go lower ?

What yeast did you use on the cali Common, I like that style

Latest posts

Back