Anyone done a Dark Rock Kit ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Toitle says it all.
im being drawn to a Dark rock NZ lager kit while I aquire my AG kit..

im Also drawn to Coopers European lager kit,

Anyone got any opinion on dark rock kits and how they compare to coopers or any other kit for that matter ?

Done a couple of the Dark rock cider kits and they've been okay.

I'd err away from a lager kit as it's really the trickiest beer to make well, Id' go for a bitter or a stout as a starter.

I'd err away from a lager kit as it's really the trickiest beer to make well, Id' go for a bitter or a stout as a starter.
I should be ok with a lager , just getting back in the game after a 12 year break and doing a few kits to get my hand back in while I accumulate ( slip past the wife) Some Ag kit. I have an inkbird controled fermentation fridge and a dedicated conditioning fridge to lager it down at 2C. Id also pressure ferment and probably use Novalager or 34/70 yeast

I used the Novalager and spunded my last lager and was very impressed with it. Not the best floccer and I did use some biofine after a few weeks lagering.
I tend to drop 10ml of Starbrite in when im kegging. That keg then wont move during lagering or dispensing. I use a floating dip tube to help stay out of the mud as long as I can.
I think Im going to switch to Brausol just to see if its any better than Starbrite.

How did you find their cider kits? Having lived a long time in Somerset Im kinda fussy over my Cider, I find most commercial ciders away from the SW are ovely sweet. And if I could find a good kit that I can keep on the dry side Id be a happy chappie

How did you find their cider kits? Having lived a long time in Somerset Im kinda fussy over my Cider, I find most commercial ciders away from the SW are ovely sweet. And if I could find a good kit that I can keep on the dry side Id be a happy chappie
Much better kit than Mangrove jacks which was very sweet.
I let it ferment out fully and it was dry.
Not as good as a west Cntry scrumpy but it was okay, I used a tin of cider additive in the last one rather than plain sugar as out of date and cheaper in the home brew shop.

I've done four of their beer kits.
They recommend using Starbrite, twice I have, twice I haven't and wished I had.
Very slow to clear. Months.

The Dark Rock Session Series is a great range of kits. If you go to the 'Reviews' thread, you'll find some in there. I'd highly recommend them.

What I would recommend, if you go for a Dark Rock kit, is to buy their Beer Kit Enhancer at the same time. It's really good stuff and makes a huge difference to the end result. You can use sugar instead, but your final beer won't be anywhere near as good. The Enhancer is money well spent.

Latest posts

Back