Anyone else addicted to Marmite?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwiseman77

Landlord.
Reaction score
In the last 6 months I think I have developed a serious addiction to Marmite. I started off scraping a little on my toast. Now I have at least 3 slices of toast (on my tasty homemade bread) with marmite slathered about an inch thick. I've even started adding some to a cup of boiling water to have as a hot drink when I don't fancy tea. Also tastes great in soups and stews! SWMBO says that a jar a week is excessive...she even caught me dipping my finger in the jar and licking it last night. Anyone else got this problem??

Love the stuff, but a jar a week :shock: there is a lot of salt in marmite, so I would cut it back a bit if I was you.

:lol: in a word no , but i never used to like marmite but in the last few years that has changed to i like it at times. its made from beer .

dennisking said:
Love the stuff, but a jar a week :shock: there is a lot of salt in marmite, so I would cut it back a bit if I was you.

I really try to keep my salt intake low so maybe this addiction to marmite is my body craving more salt...

Maybe I should cut down...but its so damn delicious plus my Vitamin B levels must be through the roof :party:

pittsy said:
:lol: in a word no , but i never used to like marmite but in the last few years that has changed to i like it at times. its made from beer .

I read a thread somewhere, maybe here, about trying to make your own teast extract from the yeast cake of a brew, it is possible but I think quite complicated. I remember going on a brewery tour in Melbourne and they said they sold their used yeast to Kraft who make Vegemite

As a young boy my son was a very fussy eater and grew up living on marmite sandwiches and marmite on toast. He eats well now and has grown up a healthy strapping lad.

dennisking said:
As a young boy my son was a very fussy eater and grew up living on marmite sandwiches and marmite on toast. He eats well now and has grown up a healthy strapping lad.

Diet of champions! I'm sure you never let him have a jar a week tho ;-)

Get yourself down to Costco, big tub, 600g, £3 , should last you two weeks
y7adunut.jpg

brookenstein said:
Get yourself down to Costco, big tub, 600g, £3 , should last you two weeks
y7adunut.jpg

Ha ha, I used to do the printing on these tubs. I do like marmite, but a jar a week :shock: . As for a drink you can't beat an oxo cube in hot water topped up with milk like a normal brew :thumb:

Marmite :sick: :sick: :sick:

and oxo cubes and milk??? :nono: that's just plain perverted :sick: :tongue:

+1 for Marmite...with cheese on toast, with ham in butties, loads of it on buttery toast to clear the head after a session on the ale...It is a bit salty so ease up a bit

I don't think I've ever tried it....though from the sounds of things it's perhaps a good thing. One day you start off eating it socialy when you've had a drink..the next thing you know you're stealing car stereos to sustain a jar a day habit, you're eating it, drinking it and cleaning your teeth it in. So sad. ;)

:drink:

Ha ha... You bet you are not alone!

I've lived outside the UK since the early 1980s. But always made it back on the occasional 'marmite run'. The 1kg plastic tubs are most convenient for check-in luggage – but they haven't got any of the appeal of the classic glass jars!

Cheers,

Steve

cwiseman77 told us about his marmite addiction. :shock:

My SWMBO says it could be your body telling you that you need more B vitamins. :hmm:

I love the stuff but a jar lasts several weeks in our house.

Latest posts

Back