Anyone else restrict their alcohol intake by doing this...?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyQul

Chairman of the Bored
Reaction score
Given the choice, I'd quite happily drink beer every day (I bet most of you would too?) But obviously it's not a healthy thing to do.
The recommendation if you want to keep a steady supply of beer is to get another brew on as soon as the FV is empty. To stop myself drinking too much I to do the opposite. I brew a batch of 10L and wont brew another one till I've polished off the first one. In this was I'll get at least 17 (14 days in the FV plus a minum of 3 days conditioning) days alcohol free between batches to give my liver time to recover before I give it some more pummelling. Just to note, I dont drink every day when I do have a batch to drink. I have at least one day/eve (normally at least 3-4) between sessions on the HB

I normally only drink 2-3 bottles on a Friday and a Saturday. Couple of gins to get over the Sunday night teacher fear. Other than that it's only if I'm out for the match or with the wife I drink more. I do try to brew on rotation though to keep supplies going for BBQs and gatherings, and also just cos I enjoy the brewing process.

I tend to homebrew for the enjoyment of the process rather than relying on it for beer per se. I am drinking an AG IPA at the moment which is good other than chill haze because I no chilled; but I also have some cans from DEYA in, treating myself due to workng at home for foreseeable future. I also don't have the time to brew that often with a toddler to entertain so a continually brewing is not really an option anyway. I do have all the stuff in for a galaxy IPA courtesy of a delivery this week; so I'll get to that next week I expect.

I think the NHS suggest having at least 2 consecutive days a week alcohol free which is what I do, usually Monday and Tuesday. In the rest of the week I'll have 1 or 2 an evening, but weekends maybe up to 5 as I see my friends for a session or drink during homebrew.

Since lockdown I've been drinking a bit more though.

I havent the discipline to do that. I cant stick to set days. I can go several weeks without a beer but when I want a beer. I want a beer

It’s easier I’ve found if I don’t ever deny myself a beer, if I *really* want a beer in the week I have one. It works well enough for me, I’ll have between 4 and 6 pints a day at the weekend (maybe ;) a bit more if we have a BBQ) and just one or two pints in total through the week.

I tend to have a pint most nights starting mid way through cooking it and finish it later on in the evening with or after the meal.
Sometimes I will have a glass of wine instead, and sometimes just red grape juice in a wineglass to trick my monkey brain into thinking it's wine.
I'll also do the same with apple juice watered down just a bit. For some reason I get stomach cramps if I drink a pint of neat apple juice, but doesn't happen with cider.

I tend to build up a stock then stop brewing because I've run out of bottles, and only get another brew on when I have bottles to fill.

I have been drinking a bit more since this all kicked off, so may have two of an evening if the first one disappears too fast.

I wish I could, I only drink beer on days ending with a y

Some do, remember this poll - How many units per week. [POLL]

ssssssssssss.jpg

I only drink at the weekends anyway, 3-4 bottles on a Friday and Saturday night so a batch lasts me 5/6 weeks.

I’ve been having one on a weekday evening averaging twice a week during lockdown, usually when we do our couples “quarantine quiz” through Zoom with my mates.

I’ve been brewing like a crazy man though, 3 brews in 3 weeks and space is the only reason I won’t be doing one tomorrow.

Back