Anyone else restrict their alcohol intake by doing this...?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While working from home is helping me keep to a steady routine of not drinking when I have work the next day, the increasing number of brewery’s offering home delivery which just have to be sampled on delivery is not helping matters,

brewery’s offering home delivery which just have to be sampled on delivery is not helping matters,

I’m usually fairly good in the week and don’t drink much alcohol but I’ve gone off the rails a bit this week because of that very reason.

Daughter bought me a couple of boxes of beer and I NEEDED to know how each one tasted.

Being a big bloke & from generations of heavy drinkers I'm on a hiding to nothing. My granddad used the bath in his house as a fermenter. (Not kidding) He'd sit on the bog with a pint glass in his hand drinking the ale directly from the bath. He had a full time job as a weaver all his life & all his brass was spent on bacon butties & ale. He lived to 86. Luckily I have a very strict wife who keeps me in check. I can easily do 50 units in one session though if she's not watching me. I also go for a long walk of at least 7 miles before a planned drink to try & offset any health damage. (Wife again) :D

I was quite a heavy drinker as a young man but I have never been a drink every night sort. Only exception would be on a 2 week summer holiday. Now I only drink on Fridays and Saturdays and sometimes once midweek but that would only be one or two. I do however drink stronger beer than I used to. On Special occasions when I get together with friends of old a serious session can still be had.

Being a big bloke & from generations of heavy drinkers I'm on a hiding to nothing. My granddad used the bath in his house as a fermenter. (Not kidding) He'd sit on the bog with a pint glass in his hand drinking the ale directly from the bath. He had a full time job as a weaver all his life & all his brass was spent on bacon butties & ale. He lived to 86. Luckily I have a very strict wife who keeps me in check. I can easily do 50 units in one session though if she's not watching me. I also go for a long walk of at least 7 miles before a planned drink to try & offset any health damage. (Wife again) :D

50 units in one session! ashock1

I clearly need more practice! I don’t think I’ve ever drunk more than about 25 units in a single session.

I only drink on days with a 'Y' in it and only drink extra heavily when days have an 'A' and 'Y' combination in them. Roll on sAturdAY :tongue:

I am a regular and heavy drinker but easily 50 units seems a lot. I did do a Monopoly board pub crawl for my 40th which was great fun planning. We missed out the stations purely because of logistics but had at least a pint or large short in each one, random bottles of champagne etc. Difficult to get into a swanky place on Park Lane though for your 23rd pint.

I am a regular and heavy drinker but easily 50 units seems a lot. I did do a Monopoly board pub crawl for my 40th which was great fun planning. We missed out the stations purely because of logistics but had at least a pint or large short in each one, random bottles of champagne etc. Difficult to get into a swanky place on Park Lane though for your 23rd pint.

Also as I imagine our Peckham correspondent can attest to a paucity of pubs on Old Kent Road these days - particularly ones open at 11am on a weekday.

Drinking alcohol seems to jump generations in my family. My Mum & Dad hardly drank.
One of my Grandads could put them away.
I only have a vague idea on how much a unit of alcohol is, and there's no way I'm counting.
No way could I get to 50.
I don't have a strict wife either.

Still next week I'm going to make an effort to get away from my seven night a week drinking. I did have three nights off last week.
Apart from that it's been open slather since this virus kicked off.

Also as I imagine our Peckham correspondent can attest to a paucity of pubs on Old Kent Road these days - particularly ones open at 11am on a weekday.

Your right, afaik there's now only two. There's the Lord Nelson, which is on the corner of the road I live on and OKR (I'm constantly amazed at how that keeps going. It's been their for years. I bet even after the Pubs open up again and many will go to the wall. The Lord Nelson will open up again as if nothing ever happened). The other one is the windsor down new cross end of OKR

My auntie and uncle used to run The Green Man on the Old Kent Rd. It's gone now I believe.

50 units in one session! ashock1
Yep & I'm normally the most sober one. In fact I even cook fresh pizza or lasagne or BBQ for everyone whilst I'm on. It must be how I metabolise it or something.
I think I take after my granddad. When I was a young lad my favourite tipple was snakebite using barley wine. Weak beer seems to have no effect whatsoever which gets very expensive hence why I originally started brewing my own. I enjoy the brewing process just as much as the drinking. I see it the same as cooking which i also enjoy.

Drinking alcohol seems to jump generations in my family. My Mum & Dad hardly drank.
One of my Grandads could put them away.
I only have a vague idea on how much a unit of alcohol is, and there's no way I'm counting.
No way could I get to 50.
I don't have a strict wife either.

Still next week I'm going to make an effort to get away from my seven night a week drinking. I did have three nights off last week.
Apart from that it's been open slather since this virus kicked off.
Same with me my parents hardly drank compared to me. My dad could give it a good go when he did though. My mum would get drunk on the fumes. :D You's be surprised how the units add up. I shocked myself when I calculated. Mind you that unit total would be on a BBQ when we start at lunchtime, I don't normally drink that much very often anymore.

Latest posts

Back