Anyone getting one last brew in before the end of the year?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[QUOTE="Drunkula, post: 989337, member: 20400"
I really fancy a mild but I always have this crazy niggle and think "I'm putting in the same effort as a real beer here." So I might make a stronger version, account for bitterness then water it down to 30 litres. Sort of like the macros do with their pish. I'd never thought about doing it until just now.
[/QUOTE]
That's what I do. Brew 12 litres on the cooker and water it down to 20 litres. Mild's a stranlack ge beast: it's the only beer where (on two occasions) I've taken perfectly good ingredients and managed to brew every last vestige of flavour out of them. I once bought a couple of bottle of bottles of Thwaites Nutty Black and, try as I might, I couldn't taste a thing. Having said that, Elgoods Black Dog is amazing.

Just about to start the boil for a dopplebock.....had a few mishaps so far, not least that my mill jammed up as I was crushing the grain
Well that went from bad to worse. Tripped the consumer unit (fortunately near end of boil) and couldn't get it to stay on initially so decided to curtail boil. Pump blocked so couldn't transfer to FV. Then realised that pump issue was down to bazooka filter coming adrift (it was on its last legs). Couldn't get anything to come out of boiler tap so resorted to picking up boiler and pouring wort into FV through a sieve. However was using the fermentasaurus and struggled to pour neatly through the opening. Wort all over outside of fermenter and kitchen floor. Ended up with 18l of 1.060 wort in the FV, hopefully some good will come of it. Not had a brewday as disastrous as that before. Fitting final brew of 2020 perhaps 😔

Well I wanted to brew today but still waiting for my shiny new Fermzilla fermenter coming from Ireland (DPD tracking seems to be stuck so not sure if it's getting here on time, so much for next day delivery, on day 3 now), going to brew a NEIPA and want to use the new toy to keep oxygen minimised. I did do a smooth bitter for my dad for Christmas, pumped it full of nitrogen beer gas but that failed miserably, had some minor fizz but no creamy head, was quite bemused and the beer wasn't that good anyway so tipped it. My attempt at nitro stout worked perfectly, so not sure what I did wrong with the bitter.

Latest posts

Back