Anyone make Gose?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gose beer is a 50/50 malted wheat and barley. Sour, citrus flavours with subtle hopping. Thought it might be worth a go for summer as I have stock of Ernest, cascade and a lot of malted wheat.

Anyone tried it?

Several times, though mine aren't exactly traditional as I use fruit/purées and dry hop with a bit of Citra. I have used Philly sour in the past and added lactic acid additions either direct or as acid malt to the mash to preacidify the mash or in secondary to adjust the pH. For the salt I use some boiling water about 100ml, add the salt and microwave it to bring it back to the boil then add to secondary with the dry hop. The attached is a split batch recipe I've used a couple of times. The Philly sour yeast gives a fairly gentle sourness, which can be accentuated with a little bit of extra lactic acid. Adding the clementine and purées brings the volume up to about 27 litres in the fermenter for the Clementine one which is not ideal so in future I'll probably make a smaller base beer batch.

Attachments

• Brewfather_Doublebatchsours_20230619.pdf
    54.8 KB · Views: 0
I brewed the one from Greg Hughes' book, though I kettle soured (or rather, tried to. Ended up adding lactic acid to sour).
I must say, it's one of the most drinkable beers I have made, especially for bbqs and during this hot weather we're getting. It went down well at a recent club too. I personally couldn't detect the salt, but others could.

Thanks. That is encouraging. The thought of it is nice, I will have to find some to taste. I brewed a sour last year (quench quake ish) but 40 bottles was a bit much TBH

I once had a ginger and rhubarb sour. Heavy on the ginger. I generally don't like sour beers and I thought I would not like it but for some reason I did. I am thinking chilli with just a bit of sour might be good.

Latest posts

Back