Are these crab apples?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redcar

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've got these in the garden. Can I brew with them?

e7ejetam.jpg
ysuzevyn.jpg

I dunno, I always think of crabs as green but as it's really a term for wild or semi-wild apples that just don't get all big and juicy like 'proper' ones I spoze they can b any colour...
You can use any mix of apples you like to make cider. You want the juice to have a flavour you like with plenty of tannin (lacking in dessert and cooking apples) and acidity pH 3.2-3.8, 0.3-0.5% TTA(malic)
Crabs are generally good for tannin and acid, but /just/ crabs might be a bit much

Yeah, I hear 20% crabs to 80% big juicy apples is a done thing...

I say go for it. There's no real way for you to know what they are without a science lab...Apples are like dogs, they have interbred into thousands of varieties over the years, and what you may call cookers/pink ladies/granny smiths etc are just a closest description rather than being of the actual cultivated variety you find in supermarkets...

Besides, they're in your garden. make the most of what's close at hand!

hmm, got some identical looking fruit planted on our rental property driveways... whens the best time to pick and how many kgs are we talking for a DJs worth??? If so maybe a few morning jogs will be in order :whistle:

then do i just blend it, add pectolase, squeeze through muslin and top up with normal AJ? :hmm:

The best way to use crab apple is to pick mid sept, wash then cut into 4 boil until soft with 1/2 pint water strain overnight measure the juice add I pint of juice to 7 pints of apple juice add sugar to make og up to 1055 ferment as for all cider keep for some 6 months enjoy or make crab apple jelly using the same procedure to cook then add I ibs of sugar to I pint of liquid boil until set hope this helps :cheers:

Latest posts

Back