Are you proud to be English.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see we are may be straying into the dangerous waters of a Brexit discussion/argument/bunfight - I can also see Chippy jangling the keys to his padlock

I have already edited some posts and deleted others as we discussed in the mods are threads will now stay on topic one way or another.

Chicken tikka masala, innit?

Its still Roast dinner or Fish and chips but as it says below it is no surprise that Chicken Tikka Masala is also included in the list of England's national dishes (Chicken Tikka was devised for the British; it is not a traditional Indian curry)

The National Dishes of England
There is much dispute about which is truly the English national dish. Number one on the list for many years has been Roast Beef and Yorkshire Puddings, followed closely by Fish and Chips. There is a vast multi-cultural diversity in Britain much attributed to historical references of the British Empire and years of the British Raj (the rule of the British Crown in the Indian subcontinent between 1858 and 1947). Hence, it is no surprise that Chicken Tikka Masala is also included in the list of England's national dish. Chicken Tikka was devised for the British; it is not a traditional Indian curry.
https://www.thespruceeats.com/national-dishes-of-britan-and-ireland-435493

I suppose you forgot the mushy peas. I think that is even more British (English?) than fish and chips.

I'm in no way at all proud of being English.

Could be cause I'm Irish though. :)

Fish and Chips may be of Jewish origin

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8419026.stm

Some credit a northern entrepreneur called John Lees. As early as 1863, it is believed he was selling fish and chips out of a wooden hut at Mossley market in industrial Lancashire.

Others claim the first combined fish 'n' chip shop was actually opened by a Jewish immigrant, Joseph Malin, within the sound of Bow Bells in East London around 1860.

Nope but I’m Scottish,
If I was English I don’t think I’d be proud,
Even most English don’t seem proud,
They don’t celebrate St George’s day anymore for a start

I think a lot of English indentity was wrapped up in Britain and the Empire.
Maybe England as a nation has been having a crisis of identity since?

I’m proud of different aspects of being from Somerset, now being a Londoner, being English, British and European. I’d instinctively describe myself as patriotic rather than proud of my nationality, but the difference is probably pretty nuanced and I’d struggle to articulate it

There are many people who would be proud Irish Welsh and Scottish people.. however they wouldn't face the same level of judgement than if you say you're Proud to be English.
Nope but I’m Scottish,
If I was English I don’t think I’d be proud,
Even most English don’t seem proud,
They don’t celebrate St George’s day anymore for a start

To be fair and I think this thread shows to a degree I think its frowned upon., Irish can be proud Scottish can be proud and Welsh can be proud and no one would batter an eye lid but English I feel has a stigma.

Personally I don't feel there is anything wrong with being proud of your roots and where you come from if you choose to do so..

People mentioning history I thought i'd add English was a language before it was a country and Aethelstan grandson of Alfred the great was the 1st King of the English in 927.

If you watch the video I linked to in the OP quite a few people give reasons why they are proud, to be honest the only time I give being English much thought is when the football, cricket etc is all over the news it's not something I think about at any other time.
Football, Cricket, Rugby...
Remind me again, where were those sports devised?

Last edited by a moderator:
Pride is one of the deadly sins isn't it?

I feel very privileged and thankful to have been born and brought up in a country where we have freedom of speech, even if that freedom is sometimes ironically directed back at said country. I'm not proud though.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yes, absolutely.

It all really started when I was working in Edinburgh! Before then, I identified as being British. Afterwards, I most definitely identified as being English.

I then learned some of my family history. "We" have been in Bromsgrove since at least the 17th Century & I had a (relatively) "famous" (at least locally) ancestor.

I thought the map was interesting - looks like the further away from London you are the more likely you are to identify with your county (rather than `English').
Suits me, I'm originally from North Yorkshire and now live in West Wales. And I've never identified as English.

I'm more 'connected' to my working class north-eastern roots, rather than any vague link to fellow englanders. I don't see much connection to my family history and that of the upper and upper-middle classes over the past 100-150 yrs - apart from the exploitation bit.

I'll be shouting loudly during the world cup, though. :laugh8:

Shouldn't all the players be English, then? Not that I care... they could all come from the Andromeda galaxy for me. Just doesn't make sense.

FIFA eligibility rules
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As the governing body of association football, FIFA is responsible for maintaining and implementing the rules that determine whether an association football player is eligible to represent a particular country in officially recognised international competitions and friendly matches. In the 20th century, FIFA allowed a player to represent any national team, as long as the player held citizenship of that country. In 2004, in reaction to the growing trend towards naturalisation of foreign players in some countries, FIFA implemented a significant new ruling that requires a player to demonstrate a "clear connection" to any country they wish to represent. FIFA has used its authority to overturn results of competitive international matches that feature ineligible players.

Latest posts

Back