Back to Basics 2 - the 80 shilling kitchen special

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An excellent write up and a good reminder that brewing doesn't shedloads of fancy kit.

:clap:

Hi Big Yin,

Quick question, as I’ve been thinking of stepping up from extract to full grain, and quite fancy doing a small batch of ‘back to basics’ style brew as my first one, so I can get my head around what happens when, without the pressure of doing a full 23L batch.

So, once the mash is over, and the sparge starts, how do you know how much water to use? I can see that you’re fly sparging, initially using the water from the mash, but then the next pic seems to show you using new (i.e. fresh/clear) water to finish off the sparge – are you just using that to get back to the same amount of water you started off with pre-mash? (as I assume some water will stay soaked up in the grains), or are you topping up to get to a level specified by the recipe?

Any info would be great!

Normally I would sparge until the hot runnings reach 0.990 SG, but in this case I didn't worry about that and just sparged until I had plenty for the boil :thumb:

Cracked open the first of the bottles last night - nice and clear, lacking a bit of carbonation, and probably a bit thin for an 80%, but still a damned nice beer to drink :drink:

546919_10151172911684585_173151727_n.jpg

First bottle I supplied to Dunfie sat in my office for nearly 3 weeks and then was a right 'gusher' when Dunfie opened it :oops:

Supplied another one to him last week, suspect the sediment issues won't have been helped by bringing the bottle in on the tank bag on my ZZR1100 :lol:

Here's the feedback from our very own beer judge :drink:

Colour and Clarity
The sediment came up in clumps which made the beer cloudy. There was a haze but I am not sure if that was to yeast deposit or if there was also a haze (I'll come back to that at the end).

Head & Retention
Plenty of CO2 but not real head retention.

Aroma
There was a sweet malty note but no hop profile really evident. As it sat the yeast was coming through but that was to be expected.

Flavour

Decent malt character and a light bitterness to balance. Slightly lacking a body but delivering a clean finish. However the sediment was distracting. My view is that it was closer to a 70/-.

I wonder if the haze was to do with not managing to get a decent boil?

However it was very impressive that you managed this in the kitchen. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back