Black Sheep Bitter - My 2nd AG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think (and others will correct me if I am wrong) that BIAB methods are less efficient then a mash tun and sparge method but as I am not terribly familiar with BIAB it is only an impression from a variety of online reading.

A

Yep, you're wrong :D

Seriously, it depends how you do it. I've done a BIAB no sparge 'properly' twice and got higher efficiency than the recipe predicted.

As Clibit suggested the low FG is probably because a high proportion of the wort was fermentable.

No harm in being critical of your brew, its the way to improve. The end result will be beer though :-)

Yep, you're wrong :D

Seriously, it depends how you do it. I've done a BIAB no sparge 'properly' twice and got higher efficiency than the recipe predicted.

As Clibit suggested the low FG is probably because a high proportion of the wort was fermentable.

No harm in being critical of your brew, its the way to improve. The end result will be beer though :-)

Fair enough, it is, as I say, an impression that I have from online sources rather than any experience of my own.

Fair enough, it is, as I say, an impression that I have from online sources rather than any experience of my own.

I was inspired to do the no sparge after looking through a few American BIAB sites and their claims to good efficiency. I liked the idea of simplifying the process and eliminating a piece of kit (mash tun). It works for me and I wouldn't go back now.

Each to their own though :-)

I was inspired to do the no sparge after looking through a few American BIAB sites and their claims to good efficiency. I liked the idea of simplifying the process and eliminating a piece of kit (mash tun). It works for me and I wouldn't go back now.

Each to their own though :-)

I thought about this (when I get my boiler for full volumes) do you mash out at like 78ºc and hold for 10 mins when approaching the boil?

Bottling Day! It stuck at 1004 for 4 days, from a 1038 start, which the calculator indicates is 4.5%.

Got 30x500ml and 5x1000ml bottles (not all shown). You can see that the majority were clear as a bell, it was only the last few through that were a little cloudy.

Tastes good already - very nice 'proper bitter'.

How long do you think I'll leave it before a tester....I reckon 1 week!

Thanks for all the advice and help along the way.

Cheers

Martin

bottling 1.jpg

bottling 2.jpg

bottling 3.jpg

I thought about this (when I get my boiler for full volumes) do you mash out at like 78ºc and hold for 10 mins when approaching the boil?

Sure I'd replied to this (common theme for me). Yes I do a mashout at around that temperature. The 10 minutes is a long time though, too short to do anything else so you just hang around. I run out of patience around 7 minutes. :-D

Well, the Black Sheep is all gone. Had the boys round, lit a fire and we worked our way through a total of 36 bottles of 4 different brews.

Lots of empty bottles, 2 empty FV....decisions decisions!

Latest posts

Back