A hello and a showcase of my first solo AG brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilpcraven

Reaction score
Hi all,
It seems appropriate that my first post should be an account of my first solo AG brew day.
A bit of background: I'm an old friend forum user DirtyCaner, I'm (sort of) originally from Perthshire but these days I call Porto Alegre, in Brazil, home.
It's currently hot as hell here - more or less 40C - so that added some extra challenges, some of which I'll mention later.

I had planned to show some of the frozen corn juice drinkers down here what real beer tastes like. To that end I was going to brew the AG 80/- variant of the Caramelised Scottish Ale recipe from Brewing Classic Styles book. Sadly I didn't have any dark roasted barley to hand as an adjunct (some thing are hard to get down here) so I thought I'd throw in some special B instead, to give it some toastiness, fruitiness and some colour. I read a bit later that this much Special B might be overkill, though. Given that I could only find Belgian Pale malt as well, it seems I've made some sort of bastardised 80/- Dubbel. We'll see what it ends up like.

Before we begin: Safety first!
12479270144_9e50afa3d4_z.jpg

So the recipe turned out like this; just two grains:

5kg (11lbs) Pale ale malt
.25kg (just over 1/2 lb) Special B

12479282324_9a49b6485f_z.jpg

This was the first time using my mill - it seems that things went ok.

I was using the stove top, so heating the strike water wasn't exactly quick:

12478799925_39549dc9c7_z.jpg

Mixing water with grains isn't so exciting but here's a picture:
12479280154_e0649aef26_z.jpg

Didn't do anything too controversial here - added the water gradually and stirred it to avoid any big dough balls. I do like this cooler mash tun though! Strike water ended up a little bit cool at 65C so I chucked in a bit more nearly boiling water that brought it up to just under 70C. 20L of water went into the tun. I had to use bottled water since the tap water here, although nice and soft, tastes a bit funky when it gets warm (a sort of algae flavour...). I put few grammes of gypsum and table salt in to balance it out.

12478949813_17ce476295_z.jpg

At this point, I stopped for a break because the in 40C heat I was rapidly losing fluids.

12478797305_dc152f6785_z.jpg

After a typical hour of mashing, I transferred to the kettle. I was being careful here about aeration - is there a consensus about whether hot-side aeration is bad or not? I thought better safe than sorry.
12479277864_671614a400_z.jpg

There's a bit more crud in there than I would have liked - need to get better at this Vorlaufing thing:
12478795505_9453d16e2d_z.jpg

and be more delicate when pouring it back in:
12478794955_d8ab05bdd0_z.jpg

No pics of the batch sparging. I used 13 litres and left it to soak for 15 mins. It looked like it was going to stick for a little while, so I closed the tap a little and patience proved its worth; soon it came running smoothly.

In the book it suggests caramelising the first gallon of wort - I didn't quite have a gallon pot so I had to reserve some in a jug and slowly add it to the smaller pot as space allowed. The kettle's a bit fuller than I would have liked - I ended up with nearly 29l in total! Probably don't need so much strike water next time - at least the recipe called for boiling nearly a gallon of it off, on top of the regular evaporation during a long boil

12479274024_83797e9262_z.jpg

I said it was a solo brew day but I had two willing helpers:

12479272704_021d7c73ca_z.jpg

The hops are in, half way through a long 120 minute boil. It wasn't such a vigorous boil, being on the hob, but it was boiling. At least it meant less risk of boiling over!

12478790485_31f23fec99_z.jpg

Hop Schedule:
28g (1oz) UK Goldings 60min
5g (1/6 oz) Fuggles 60min
3.5g (1/8 oz) UK Goldings 20 min

The safety boots proved worthwhile as I had to move the kettle from the kitchen to the back room for cooling - the tap in the kitchen didn't fit the attachment for the cooler! Also, since it was so warm here (the cold water was coming out the tap at 35C and it was 40C ambient) it took a while to bring the wort down to sensible temperatures. Hope it didn't allow any nasties to take hold!

12478940403_00b590df9f_z.jpg

(The dog's bed made a handy sponge to soak up the water leaking out of the tap - the washer disappeared somewhere so there were a lot of drips. I made sure none got in the kettle.)..

Finally it goes into the fermenting vessel, but it's still too warm to pitch the yeast.

12479268594_5d9128c98c_z.jpg

The hose is just poking into the bucket to allow free-fall of the wort, to get a bit of O2 absorbed. I also shook the hell out of it later for more oxygen, but in this heat It's a case of just doing what you can. I had put a sanitised tub lid over the grommet hole in the bucket lid, to stop any nasties getting in.

Later, after a couple of hours 'in ze cooler', I fed it to a rehydrated packet of Safale 04.

The stuff that went into the fermentor had about the right colour for an 80/- and an SG of about 1.054, (a bit strong, but I guess that's because of the long boil.)
12479267704_40ac3fab52_z.jpg

(it reads lower because it was quite warm)

Thought I should compare the Hydrometer to the Refractometer just to be sure (both are new toys!)
12478785865_2db9457970_z.jpg

And finally my little helpers helped me put it to bed, with the thermostat set to 15.3C (I heard Safale 04 likes it cool, and I'm sure it's warmer in the bucket).
12478936553_3b2399bfa4_z.jpg

You may (but I hope you don't) recognise the cans of Brahma 0.0 non alcoholic **** in the fridge door. They are there for when my other half's dad comes over (drive here with anything above zero blood alcohol and you're in for trouble) and to remind the beer what will happen if it's a naughty boy. The door to the fridge has been taped up to remind me to resist temptation and poke at it while it's sleeping.

Thanks for reading to the end! I will update in about six weeks when it's ready for tasting!

Neil

Looking good. :thumb: . Not so much the Brahma but Lowenbrau glass that makes me shudder. Reminds me of Romford brewery and TW pubs. :sick:

Looking forward to the updates and as 80 is my favourite I can see a holiday to yours on the cards lol. Currently 2 degrees in Kirkcaldy so that might have something to do with it as well.

Kind regards
Kenny

Cactus Jack said:
Looking good. :thumb: . Not so much the Brahma but Lowenbrau glass that makes me shudder. Reminds me of Romford brewery and TW pubs. :sick:

I used to live near the Lowenbrau bar in Sydney. I guess this glass followed someone home last night and it ended up in my hands. Don't care much about the logo but do like the fact it holds a litre :)

looking great
but the wellies are they incase of boil over so you can pour what ever spills into them back in your boiler :lol:
just getting the same refractometer as you've got tomorrow
:thumb:

nobyipa said:
looking great
but the wellies are they incase of boil over so you can pour what ever spills into them back in your boiler :lol:

In this heat, you don't want to know what the insides of the wellies smell like :S

Well done. However it turns out I'm sure it will be better than the local commercial brew. You need to come to TST and knock DC off his furthest distance travelled crown. :lol:

bobsbeer said:
Well done. However it turns out I'm sure it will be better than the local commercial brew. You need to come to TST and knock DC off his furthest distance travelled crown. :lol:

That would be something! But I already travel round the globe once a year to go camping with him, not sure my liver can cope with doing so twice.

nobyipa said:
looking great

Oh one thing about the refractometer which I blame on ruining a nice batch of cider before I knew about it:
Alcohol will throw off the reading, so you can't just read off a FG. There is a formula for correcting but it only works as long as you know the OG so for FG, I trust a Hydrometer way more. I didn't know this and thought my cider had a stuck fermentation (even though it tasted nice and dry) so started poking at it, feeding it nutrients and even stirring it, to try to get it to come to life. All that happened was that it got infected and had to go down the sink :roll:

neilpcraven said:
bobsbeer said:
That would be something! But I already travel round the globe once a year to go camping with him, not sure my liver can cope with doing so twice.

You to have sampled Rick's breakfast whisky :thumb:

A Scotsman brewing a Belgium style beer in Brazil is certainly a forum first.

bobsbeer said:
I think Barry will be doing that this year. Rick will have to think of another, most whisky consumed? :whistle:

dennisking said:
neilpcraven said:
bobsbeer said:

You to have sampled Rick's breakfast whisky :thumb:

A Scotsman brewing a Belgium style beer in Brazil is certainly a forum first.

I believe its been rebranded "motivational whisky". It means you can drink it at all times of the day or night.

neilpcraven said:
nobyipa said:
looking great

Oh one thing about the refractometer which I blame on ruining a nice batch of cider before I knew about it:
Alcohol will throw off the reading, so you can't just read off a FG. There is a formula for correcting but it only works as long as you know the OG so for FG, I trust a Hydrometer way more. I didn't know this and thought my cider had a stuck fermentation (even though it tasted nice and dry) so started poking at it, feeding it nutrients and even stirring it, to try to get it to come to life. All that happened was that it got infected and had to go down the sink :roll:
be mainly using it during boil pre boil etc
target spotting

Allright Bro,

Nice to see you here. Thanks for sharing your brewpics, hope it works out nice. Bring a couple bottles camping this year?

And stop giving away my secrets!

Cheers,

DirtyC

DirtyCaner said:
Allright Bro,

Nice to see you here. Thanks for sharing your brewpics, hope it works out nice. Bring a couple bottles camping this year?

And stop giving away my secrets!

Cheers,

DirtyC
The secrets are well kept.

For a price...

Back