Back to Brewing and possible problem re temps...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyh

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all,

It's been a while, but with the long and warm summer period I didn't bother to brew as I knew temp control would be nigh on impossible.

So, with the change of weather, I joyfully dug out my bag, my boiler and my grain, and set about making two batches. A citrus IPA, and an roughly styled APA which used a quantity of Munich - just for the hell of it.

All went well, I hit my numbers, and 2 weeks ago the no chill cubes were emptied into fermentation buckets and the yeast pitched.

Both got off to great starts with a good krausen head formed in the first 24 hours, and now both are starting to clear. I have yet to take a gravity reading, I usually look at that after 3 weeks. But they should be relatively lightweight 4.2/4.5% ABV respectively.

Now this is where things go slightly/possibly amiss...

Short of a fermentation fridge, or space in the garage, I keep the fermentation buckets upstairs in the "box room", this also doubles as a home office. With the radiator off, and the window slightly open, it stays around 16-17C at this time of year. So I can pretty much use it happily to ferment.

Yesterday, with the kids on half term, they were helping Mrs H tidy, and my daughter put something into the box room, and left the door open :-?
I didnt notice this until this morning, but I can be pretty sure that the temp in the room would have fluctuated up to maybe 22C in the evening as central heating warmed the house.... :doh:

So in short, despite me closing the door and opening the window this morning to get the temp back down to 19C so far, will I be left with a load of fusel alcohols and odd tastes, and am I best biting the bullet and getting a replacement batch underway today in the vague hope of having something drinkable for Xmas and New Years?

As for my daughter, well today is her birthday, so can't be cross with her. Stuff happens. :roll:

What yeast did you use? What are its temperature range?

My guess is you would be using a neutral American yeast like Fermentis. The neutral yeasts are quite temperature tolerant. They don't add much flavour add ideal temperatures, ergo don't add much at mild extremes.

22C doesn't sound like throw it out temperatures. Also, it was only a day. There is plenty of good reasons to be optimistic.

However I am making assumptions about the yeast you are using. Which yeast did you use?

Hiya, yeasts weren't exotic as haven't got back into making starters yet, so one was a packet of S-04, the other a packet of S-05.

It's like fretting over the first born all over again :D

Exactly as I suspected. I first went to s-05 because I was brewing during the summer and we had a bit of a heat wave! Both have temperatures ranges of 12 to 25 C. S-05 is ideally 15-22 so that one should be fine. S-04 is ideally 15-20. You might have gone over the optimal range on that but still within the acceptable range.

All in all, I think there is reason to be optimistic.

Naturally, I am sure you taste your beer at various stages of the brew so, as long as there are no off flavours, I say go for it.

Exactly as I suspected. I first went to s-05 because I was brewing during the summer and we had a bit of a heat wave! Both have temperatures ranges of 12 to 25 C. S-05 is ideally 15-22 so that one should be fine. S-04 is ideally 15-20. You might have gone over the optimal range on that but still within the acceptable range.

All in all, I think there is reason to be optimistic.

Naturally, I am sure you taste your beer at various stages of the brew so, as long as there are no off flavours, I say go for it.

You know I have never tasted it during the process, I always thought it best to leave it be :-?

If I take a gravity reading I guess I could sample the sample :lol:

Thanks for the birthday wishes, she is rather excited with the day.. I might hide away and get a brew on in the garage :whistle:

Tasting during the process is a great idea, you really get a sense of how flavours evolve, blend and mellow over time.

In a sneaky way it makes your beers taste better because you know to leave it another few weeks before allowing anyone else to taste any.

Ok, I just took a sample of each.
Both have reached their FG, so the numbers at least are good.

The S-04 batch does have a slight 'hot' taste, is there anything I can do about that? I guess it is fusel alcohol from the slightly high temp?

The s-05 batch tastes fine - at least fine for a flat warm liquid :)

Both have been there for 2 weeks, would racking off and giving another 2 weeks help the cause for the s-04 batch?

All thoughts welcome.
(At least one batch has survived)

Cheers

Ok, I just took a sample of each.
Both have reached their FG, so the numbers at least are good.

The S-04 batch does have a slight 'hot' taste, is there anything I can do about that? I guess it is fusel alcohol from the slightly high temp?

The s-05 batch tastes fine - at least fine for a flat warm liquid :)

Both have been there for 2 weeks, would racking off and giving another 2 weeks help the cause for the s-04 batch?

All thoughts welcome.
(At least one batch has survived)

Cheers

I would say racking it off would be erring on the side of caution. Taste it again after 2 weeks as you said.

Ok, I'll rack it off and let it stand for a couple of weeks and see if there is an improvement. Nothing to lose and I have a spare FV it can sit in.

Might get a batch underway just in case, and I'll stick with the s-05 until it gets a bit colder out.

It's all good :)

Back