Back

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smithywick

Reaction score
Back to try again after first and last brew was a disaster not sure whether to try lager again or try a cider?

Back to try again after first and last brew was a disaster not sure whether to try lager again or try a cider?
Why was it a disaster? Was it the equipment you used, did it just turn out not as expected, or was it something you think you did wrong? And is that all that you like to drink, lagers or cider?
Tell us more and we might be able to help you produce something that is not a disaster this time round.

Hi terrym
Not quiet sure what went wrong really? Not sure if I didn't clean everything properly? I followed the instructions it was a lager kit from Wilko's, there just didn't seem to be any life in it? No bubbling nothing from the airlock and it just went bad? Cider, lager, pale ale anything other than wine I'm not really a wine drinker, I'm just wondering if cider is maybe a bit easier to start with than lager?
Thanks in advance

Hi terrym
Not quiet sure what went wrong really? Not sure if I didn't clean everything properly? I followed the instructions it was a lager kit from Wilko's, there just didn't seem to be any life in it? No bubbling nothing from the airlock and it just went bad? Cider, lager, pale ale anything other than wine I'm not really a wine drinker, I'm just wondering if cider is maybe a bit easier to start with than lager?
Thanks in advance
The process will be the same whatever you brew, did you follow the instructions etc was the temperature high enough, did you use yeast, tell us about the process you used and we could help.

The process will be the same whatever you brew, did you follow the instructions etc was the temperature high enough, did you use yeast, tell us about the process you used and we could help.
Hi banbeer
Yes did everything the kit said
Added the packet yeast followed everything to the book, I'm thinking possibly I didn't quiet sterilise everything properly and possibly the room I kept it in may have dropped in temperature too low? I'm now prepared for both issues and see how the next one goes I'm thinking of trying a sweet newkie brown

Cheers mate I'm going to try a sweet newkie brown next and see how that goes
Try this to remind yourself of a few basics.
Basic beginners guide to brewing your own beer from a kit - The HomeBrew Forum
Next if you are going to do another kit I suggest you spend a bit more money and buy a proper premium kit, which provides everything you need, and will in my view give you a better chance of brewing a decent beer. By the time you have added all the extras to a one can there is not all that much difference in cost. Wilko and other 1.5kg kits are cheap for good reason, they are short on malt, and so to make reasonable beer you need to spend more money on top up adjuncts or have to brew short.The Youngs American and Festival premium kits usually get good reviews and I suggest you look at them. In particular the Youngs AIPA generally comes up good if you like that sort of thing
Finally there is a forum kit review section here
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/beer-kit-reviews-a-z-part-1-2.77650/

Do I need to keep the fv at 20° or the room I'm doing it in at the temperature? I have got a Young's electric wrap is it worth putting that round the fv or is that just going to cost a fortune in electric?

Do I need to keep the fv at 20° or the room I'm doing it in at the temperature? I have got a Young's electric wrap is it worth putting that round the fv or is that just going to cost a fortune in electric?
I would say its cheaper to keep your FV warm in a cold room, than to keep the whole room with the FV inside it warm. However the economics get a bit fuzzier if you are using gas for CH since gas energy is cheaper than electricity. Personally I keep my well insulated FV in a water bath fitted with a 50w fish tank heater in my unheated garage, and the heater is certainly not on all the time even in the coldest conditions.

My advice would be to buy an ale kit you like, discard the yeast that comes with it and use a good reliable pack of Nottingham yeast instead. It works from 10 to 22C so anywhere in that range will be fine as long as its fairly consistent. Yeast don't respond well to large temperature fluctuations - particularly downwards as it tends to make them flocculate (settle to the bottom).

Hi terrym
Thanks in advance

cider is easier than lager and the yeast usually has a better temperature range, as you're doing kits you'd not be boiling the wort because adding yeast to hot liquid will kill it. it's possible you had a duff packet of yeast.

Hi mate
Ye I did think the yeast may of been dodgy as well as there was just no life at all from it? I did allow the wort to cool down to about 20° before adding it but it still had no life in it, I'll try another ale and give some cider a go as well I'm determined to get it right this time. Thanks for your help mate much appreciated

My advice would be to buy an ale kit you like, discard the yeast that comes with it and use a good reliable pack of Nottingham yeast instead. It works from 10 to 22C so anywhere in that range will be fine as long as its fairly consistent. Yeast don't respond well to large temperature fluctuations - particularly downwards as it tends to make them flocculate (settle to the bottom).
Hi foxbat
Oh thanks for that mate that's interesting and a great bit of advice I'll do that, fresh batch of yeast makes sense that thank you very much.

I would say its cheaper to keep your FV warm in a cold room, than to keep the whole room with the FV inside it warm. However the economics get a bit fuzzier if you are using gas for CH since gas energy is cheaper than electricity. Personally I keep my well insulated FV in a water bath fitted with a 50w fish tank heater in my unheated garage, and the heater is certainly not on all the time even in the coldest conditions.
Sorry to digress, but @terrym are you saying you heat the water bath rather than heating the FV directly?

Latest posts

Back