Bald tyres.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The mind boggles.

Not much point telling people like this to check their vehicles there is no way he/she didn't know they were like this they do not wear like that over night.

NW Motorway Police Retweeted
CMPG‏Verified account @CMPG 52m52 minutes ago
Vehicle check M6 @StaffsPolice area. This is the front offside tyre. The nearside was in a similar condition. This a danger not only for the vehicle occupants but everyone else on road as well. Check your vehicle before we do. RG @THINKgovuk @HighwaysWMIDS

DYBiY-vW0AIYweL.jpg

Why can't they make tyres that deflate once they get to say 1.3 mm, it would make people think twice.

How many miles must that car have done since it’s last MOT to get to that state?

How on earth do they get them through MOT? Surely it takes more than a year to put that amount of wear on a tyre?

How on earth do they get them through MOT? Surely it takes more than a year to put that amount of wear on a tyre?

I would say the tracking is a mile out and thats why they have worn more on the edge, it may not have taken long for them to get to this state but the driver still should have noticed as its the outside edge.

Price of tyres, ought to use bloody solid ones. Had me mobike out today and noticed that the front tyre is on its way out. That'll be another hundred quid going west and it's only done mebbe 8 thou.

It can happen to the best of us!

My motorbike was in for a service in Perth in Scotland where, at the back of the workshop, I noticed a modern rear motorbike wheel (complete with tyre) standing on its own and not propped against anything!

I was so intrigued that I took a closer look and discovered that what was letting this happen was that the normal "rounding" profile of the tyre had been worn away to such an extent that there was a 6cm wide "flat" all he way round with the canvas on show!

The rider lived in Perth, but earlier on in the year he had landed a new job down in Morecambe and had decided to go there and back every week on his bike.

Like any good biker, he hadn't paid much attention to the speed limits and he just hadn't realised that the extra weight of a weeks gear, the 440 mile round-trip (with 99% of his journey sat upright on motorways), was going to wear just the centre of his back tyre!

As he pointed out "I had a new set of tyres fitted when I got the job and my blood runs cold every time I think back to doing a ton up the M74 on my way home yesterday!"

Even now it makes me wince to even think about it!:wave:

BTW The tyre wasn't "cheap", just nice and "grippy"!

I would say the tracking is a mile out and thats why they have worn more on the edge, ...........

I'd be more inclined to think that the driver was a "boy racer" who was throwing the car into every corner trying to be like Lewis Hamilton!

Also, how many people nowadays change their tyres "corner to corner" so that they even out front and rear wear and rotate in the opposite direction?

Regardless of the vehicle I'm driving, I get the tyres balanced and swapped around and the vehicle re-tracked, every year with the annual service. The last set of tyres (Continentals on a motorhome) were still legal after 48,000 miles; but I changed them anyway because we were driving down to Venice and I didn't have any breakdown cover. :thumb:

I usually get through 2-3 full sets if tyres a year in my A3. But then, it is a 64 plate I've had from new and has done over 162,000 miles. :laugh8:

Only 150,000 more than I've done in my 64 plate A3 that I've had from new. :wave:

I can't swap the tyres round on my car, as the backs are wider /lower profile than the fronts.
Bloody mercs!

And the way the front geometry is set on a C class, they wear the outside very quickly. Even with decent hard wearing pirelli, I struggle to get 20k out of the fronts.
However my back tyres are approaching 40k and still have 2.5mm on them! But they'll be getting changed at the next service, as I don't like tyres getting that low due to their potential to aquaplane on motorways

Please see below.

Swapping them side-to-side will change the rotation and at least even out the wear, especially if you drive a lot without a passenger.

The only problem with this system is that some safety conscious (and well paid) idiot has invented tyres that are only designed to rotate in the one direction!

I guarantee that these tyres give at least 1% more "grip" and I'll also lay good money of the belief that they will cost a lot more to replace; especially if only one of them is damaged!

I know what you mean dutto.
However, although mine aren't directional, I won't swap them round. It's been proven that when they part wear, the tread blocks wear in a specific pattern and when swapped can cause additional road noise.
I chose my Merc as I do a tonne of motorway miles and wanted a quiet cruiser. Adding road noise due to tread block wear would defeat the object.
Yes I am anal about it. The tyres I got also have the lowest dB rating in their load/speed group for their size.

Edited to add, my previous car had same size front and back and I did swap them..but again only front to back, not rotationally left right for the same reason

It's nice to know that old age is good for something! When your hearing starts to fail, apart from tuning out people you don't wish to listen to, it also tunes out the "rumble" of car tyres.

It's annoying at times. when I put my hearing aids in I can even hear the bathroom clock ticking! :wave:

Easy. If your tyres are legal you pass the MOT. So you're talking about the difference between 3.0mm tread and 2.9mm.

By the way, last year I replaced the 2 front tyres on my doblo and they were in a similar condition to the photo although we regularly check the tread. Our garage guy explained that it was a common problem caused by slight underinflation with some types of low profile tyres. Not cheap ones either. Apparently the ones we use have more steel under the tread which badly affects them if they're underinflated.

Latest posts

Back