Banana beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drunken Horse

Still a Newb
Reaction score
Hoping to make a banana beer like wells banana bread beer using a kit beer for a base. Found a few ways to add the banana flavour on here. but what kit would use as a base? I was thinking a St peters Ruby Ale. Do you think this is suitable or can you suggest another that would work?

St Pete's is really quite distinctive in its own right - might not let the fruity flavours shine like they should.

What about something like Better Brew Yorkshire Bitter which is very "middle of the road"? Or if you fancy something darker and maltier then maybe their Midland Mild as a base? Nice beer in it's own right that one...

What about wherry?? It's got a lovely sweetness that would go well with banana flavours?

I made a banana beer. Used a recipe for 80/- but with a bit more crystal malt.

wells is a very bog standard beer.underneath. fuggles and goldings hops, pale and crystal malts. a coopers English bitter would.make a good, but deep coloured base.

use Munich yeast for banana flavour. add banana extract, bananas, or banana essence, and you'll be there!

BIGJIM72 said:
Found this in my searches for a banana beer

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f75/bananaweizen-260397/

Thats a lot of nanas!
My own experiments with dried bananas so far (not tried in secondary yet) don't impart huge amounts of flavour-so its down to flavouring or yeast & temp control

Was going to use some natural banana syrup, my friend works in a coffee shop so can get me some fairly cheap (although the thought of banana flavoured coffee scared me!). I checked no preservatives in it (and tastes of natural bananas not banana flavouring) so should be okay as long as the flavour survives brewing .

Back